• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found an M543 (I think)

Kalashnikov

Well, I've been lwanting to buy either a deuce or a 5 ton and now that I have some money saved I've been looking around. I happen to stumble upon what I think is an M543. It's a gasser from the 50s. Everything works, just needs a battery. It's CHEAP, $2k. Now, I'd rather it was a diesel, but either way I don't want to pass it up. I'd rather have the multifuel, but maybe I can swap one in later.

Even thought it is a 5 ton truck, I should still be able to register it as an antique according to the Massachusetts antique registration form:
"An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club
activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and
transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any
way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate."

Does this sound true?

I don't think I can register it as a normal vehicle because it's over 26k pounds, but I don't have a business so what would I do?

I also have somewhat of an idea of a furture purpose for it too. I'd like to start doing offroad recovery in the future and this seems like the perfect recovery truck.

roscoe

If your planning on using it much, I'd just go with regular plates. I don't have a 5 ton only 2.5 tons though. I have commercial plates (about $300/ year). Insurance is about $380/year. Then your free to do what you want with it.

papercu

It might be hard to convince DOT you are not commercial with a wrecker body.
They generally write first, then you explain to a judge (IF you have the time to fight it) why you are not. Good luck, Wayne

Kalashnikov

Is it worth buying a gasser if what I really want is a multifuel or the Cummins? I can't seem to find any engines for sale, rather I don't know where to look. Same with parts. I thought I found some suppliers when I was first researching deuces but I can't seem to find any now?

What else is involved in swapping the multi besides engine mounts, radiator and some linkage mods and whatnot?

The LDS-465-1A will fit with a few modifications. You will need the multifuel front engine mount and you will have to modify the 2 bolt holes on the front crossmember as they do not line up with the MF engine mount.These bolt holes allow the mounting bolts to pass through the crossmember, the bolts are not secured there.The radiator is MF specific, so that will need changing. The electrics and power steering hoses need a little modification.Then the linkage to the throttle pedal and handle, engine stop cable and exhaust.You can find the MF front mount at most bigger dealers like Memphis equipment. It is pretty easy to do the swap. I have done it, PM me if you have any questions.
As far are transmission and bellhousings, do all 5 tons have the same bellhousing and will bolt up to each engine? What about the deuce's bolt pattern if I were to get a MF from one of them?

I can't find much on the R6602. Anyone have a parts supplier that sells rebuild kits carbs etc.? I was also wondering if anyone has converted the points to electronic ignition.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will find that if the crane works you have a great yard truck.

The gasser will eat you out of house and home on fuel.

That big six banger will suck the bottom out of the gas tank.:shock:

When I was putting the engine in my 816 wrecker we were using a 543 to do the swap.

We ran it out of fuel several times just running the crane.

On the road you might get 3-4 miles per gallon down a steep hill, in neutral with a strong tailwind.

That being said.....any military wrecker has a cool factor of 10.:cool: :cool:

For 2 grand I would be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.rofl

It's worth more than that for scrap.

area52

As far as the tranny/bellhousing, the multi should bolt right up to it but you would want an overdrive tranny, the gasser tranny is a direct drive I believe, you would be limited in your speed.

I would not put a LDT or LD from a deuce in your wrecker. They lack power in a 13,000lbs deuce, would be even worse in a 36,000 lbs wrecker.

I would get a 5.9 cummins and put it in instead of a multi, but thats just me.

Does it have a Holley carb or a Zenith? If its a Holley, I have heard that you can get better performance or mileage out of a Zenith. Saturn did have some a while back.

Go with the historical plates, it would cost more for registration than the whole truck probably.

Good luck and get some pictures up!!:p

Monty

If you have the Zenith carb keep it (this carb has a cast iron body), if it's a Holley I call Saturn Surplus and see if they still have any.

My bobbed M54 is a gasser and as stated before they consume large amounts of fuel, I'd second swapping in a Multi or a cummings.

Wreckers waaaaayyyyy cool factor!

POST PICTURES :p

Chad

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the crane, one boom lift cylinder is a M62. Two is M543. Both trucks have the same engine/transmission options. Gas, multi, or mack engine. Overdrive transmission for multi and mack. At 2 grand u wont regret it!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grab it...and I vote to keep it as a gasser. Gassers are getting more and more rare. If you do convert it to a multifuel, you will still be fine as the military did this all the time. Still, I'd rather have it as a gasser. I agree with those posters above...$2K is a great deal if it is operational.

Kalashnikov

I guess I never updated the thread...it was sold when I called. :sad:

But I bought a deuce instead. :D

I'd like to get an M816 in the next few years and single it out with 54s.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M60, but good luck finding one. Has the crane and rear winch. M108 is the same truck, without the rear winch, and bed is little different. It's more common, but still not many around. Both trucks were gasser's only.

Kalashnikov

Here's the best I can do for a pic of it. I wish I could've gotten it before it sold. aua

I'd love to see picks of one myself. I am looking for a Deuce type wrecker. I am not sure what the real name is for it? Thanks. Jim
I found one on craigslist the otherday. Althought not original it's still cool.

I also found an M35 gasser winch truck with a custom tank on the back for $1000 not running. I might go looked at an M818 thats was hit in the front for $1500.