• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found some bad Glow Plugs today

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a set of Wellman 070 glow plugs in for almost one year. After the initial installation of 8, I had 2 fail and swell, within a months time. I received replacements after calling and explaining my problem. It has been functioning great since then.

I had resupplied my GP relay with 12V , while I was waiting for the replacements so I would not burn out the rest of them. I decided to leave it supplied with 12 volts.

For the last few days, as I started the M1008(cold), I noticed longer crank time was needed. I also smelled fuel once it fired up. It also ran rough for about 20 seconds.

I checked my GPs today(ohm meter) and found 2 were bad. Neither was swollen and they changed out easily.

I only posted this to remind cucv owners that the GPs do go bad.

Having all 8 working again, really makes it start great(instantly). Less than 8 was definately putting much more strain on my batteries, cables and starter.

It only takes a few minutes to test them.

Last edited:

HardCorps79

I know there's been several discussions in the past on testing the GPs and there's one person's version in the wiki, but maybe you could give a step by step refresher of your method. Thanks!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there's been several discussions in the past on testing the GPs and there's one person's version in the wiki, but maybe you could give a step by step refresher of your method. Thanks!

Sure thing...

I open the hood, slide a 2' stepladder near the front tire, lean over the fender, and remove the GP wires(green) from the GPs.

I then set my Ohm Meter to a scale that will read 0-3 ohms(specification for good GP).

Then I put one meter probe on the blade(terminal) of the GP. I put the other probe on the base (hex)of the GP.

If there is no reading(open), its bad. If the reading is not 0-3 Ohms, it's bad.

After removing the GP, if you have any doubt if it's bad, you could apply 12volts to it, to test it. (should get hot).

Of course, after testing all 8, and replacing the bad GPs , I reinstalled the GP wires on to the GPs.

That's what I did.

btw, GP is short for glow plug

Also, There is no greater saftey rule than to, read , understand and follow all the saftey precautions of every tool you use. (Doghead)

Or, "Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses. (Norm Abrams)

Thanks, Wayne

Last edited:

papercu

You forgot to caution about opening the hood, standing on the ladder, etc, etc, without the proper safety precautions! Somebody will end up suing you. :-D Wayne

HardCorps79

That's actually exactly the kind of "barney-style" breakdown I was looking for. Now I can take credit for adding it to the wiki :twisted:. Thanks!
I particularly love the inclusion of "open the hood" and using a stepladder :-D.
I would hate to try to change them out with the hood closed :shock::shock:.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, you can/could do it with the hood closed. They can be seen and reached between the inner fenderwells and the frame. (just an option).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks