• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found this in Burkeville, Tx

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped to get pics and "explore". Young man came out and asked if he could help me. I asked if it was for sale, Nope... it belongs to the fire department. I gave him the S/S site and told him if they needed help with it, this was the place to come. sadly, the pic of the VIN didn't come out...

Attachments

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
It's a Chevrolet Hy-brid. You can tell by the bow tie on the front bumper.

That winch debacle is where somebody tried pulling the truck and snapped the shear pin and then had to make the nice bow tie design to get back to the station. Probably better left broken than to have a grade 8 bolt installed for a field repair.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh, still marked as "federal property". You'll soon find this on GSA, if the condition it's in is any sign of how they take care of it.

SEAFIRE

The Texas Forest Service gets the trucks from the Federal Government.

They have a 18 wheeler with a flatbed trailer that goes around to different bases picking up trucks for use by the Fire Departments. The special flatbed trailer has a winch and can haul 2 M35 size trucks at a time. The trucks are taken to Lufkin first to be checked out by Forest Service Mechanics before being issued out. The trucks remain property of the Federal Government and must be returned to the Texas Forest Service if not needed anymore. If the returned trucks can still be used, they are re-issued to another department, if not they are stored or auctioned off at the "boneyard" in Lufkin. I've never been to the Lufkin yard, but I've been told that it's huge.

Normally the Forest Service gives out M35's, but I've heard of some fire departments getting 5 ton trucks if requested. Supposedly they are starting to get some M35A3's in to be issued out.

Most of the time the trucks are in great shape, but sometimes a "lemon" does get through. The Forest Service is real helpful in helping us find parts, replacing trucks, etc. If we have a part break, the mechanics in Lufkin will try to find it in the boneyard and ship it to us, or have our local Forest Service rep pick it up for us, all free of charge to us.

When we send trucks back to Lufkin we pretty much strip them down for spare parts, they only require that the truck have an engine block and 6 tires when returned.

We currently have 2 M35A2's in service as brush fire trucks, here is the one we put in service this last January.

Attachments