• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame number paint stripping

FreightTrain

Banned
What is the safest way to strip the paint on the frame rail to find numbers?We got a truck(old blue-50s deuce) that has had the data plate and W&D plate stolen before we picked it up at GL.Want to strip at least one coat of strata,one coat of blue blue,one coat of Nam OD,another couple brushed coats of CARC plus primer etc etc etc.Afraid I might distroy the number removing the paint.

Jones

The numbers are stamped into the frame. I think I'd stay clear of any paint stripper capable of removing metal. Wire brushing them with a cup-type wire brush on my 4" angle grinder works good for me. Chemical strippers like Jasco that take paint down a layer or two at a time are good to pinpoint where the numbers are. That left-frame-rail-towards-the-front is just a ballpark sized area to start your search. See if you can get a flashlight beam across the surface to try to spot where they might be. Once you've spotted a number or two you can narrow in on that area. My numbers are 1/2" high or better and run about 6" to 7" in length so once you're on to them they're pretty easy to uncover.
Happy Hunting.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is really a 1950s truck it probably won't be on the drivers side rail over the front axle. It could be in front of the steering arm or on the passenger side. You can use a wire brush on a grinder without damage or I usually just use a putty knife. The thick caked on paint seems to chip off pretty easy.

hole

I have yet to find the slightest trace of any #'s on either frame rail on mine, and the original #'s on data plate had been x'ed out and restamped with new one's. David Doyle was kind enough to identify the truck by the Hood/USA number. Turned out I had 1952/53 Studebaker

goldneagle

Best paint stripper on the market is AIRCRAFT STRIPPER. I used it to remove many coats of paint off my 66' GMC walk in van. Make sure you ware gloves-it burns the skin on contact! This stuff is what was recommended to me by the owner of a body shop who was a good friend of mine...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks