• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Numbers

aboonski

Until very recently, I did not know where to locate the frame numbers on my truck because I just did not know what to look for. These things are quite large and for some reason I looked at them but thought there would be a much longer number to coincide with that of the VIN number. Kenny came by recently and one of the things he pointed out to me was the frame numbers. I am mow trying to determine what they mean - my truck is an M35A2C W/W and it would be great to know if it actually came this way or whether it was modified with the drop-sides. Anybody out there know what the frame code 0539 11967 represents? Thanks for any help! I would love to know where this truck saw most of its life too!

Al Broadbent

Attachments

aboonski

Thanks you guys! I just looked at the article that emmado22 referred me to and found that out a few minutes before your post Kenny. I guess I am a little disappointed that I don't have a genuine M35A2C but it is good to know that my truck came with a winch fromn the factory. I bought a new data plate that indicates the truck is an M35A2C but have not used it yet - the numbers are not stamped into it just for starters. I have yet to drop the sides on the bed but it is nice to know that the feature is there if I ever need it!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Your truck is a 1971 General Products Division of Jeep Corporation. The dropside trucks did not get their unique VIN identifier of 40 until 1972 - so it is possible that your truck left the factory with the dropside.

The guy that wrote the article wasn't clear on this.

David rofl Doyle

aboonski

Thanks David and here I thought I had a 1967 Kaiser Jeep! Where did you get this info? I still have to read that article in MV magazine once more and I'll probably come to the same conclusion. I appreciate all of the information that members provide about so many topics! Extremely interesting and educational!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, I've looked at hundreds (thousands) of trucks and made notes. 0539-11881 was made by General Products and had registration number 04H66471 - obviously a 1971-assigned number. 0539-11996 was also made by General Products, and had registration number 04H85771 - also a 1971 assigned number. Your truck is between those - so I feel confident yours was also made by General Products in 1971.

As for when the different VIN number prefixes came into use - that is a result of the same thing - observation of a lot of trucks, and taking many notes.

HTH,
David

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Your truck was used by the 1173 Transportation Company (Light Truck) VA Army National Guard located in Manassass, VA. Sometime around 1996/7 it was removed from the unit with 47160 miles on it. It may have been sent to DRMO at that time.

Hope that helps

aboonski

Thank you both for the very useful information regarding my truck. it is hard to believe that there are so many miles on it because it runs and drives like new. How in the world did you find out where it was turned it and attached to? I guess a lot of that information is under the Freedom of Information Act and no longer classified. I don't know what I would do without this website!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I don't know what I would do without this website!
You'd end up putting bumper numbers on your truck for the 8 UP CSPSS Unit (Ate Up Combat Sani-Pot Service Support) LOL.

Have fun with the truck!!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm assuming you mean id'ing the unit it belonged to.

Would need the national stock number, serial number or registration number (preferably both) and type of vehicle (ie M35A2C w/w).

The older the vehicle, the less likely the information is available.

sermis

Trying to ID the truck it's self. My ID plate SN# matches my title however the ID says W/O W and my truck has a winch and title says 76 AM General. The frame number has been removed. Don't know why or by whom. From what I can tell and guessing it is a 1967 Kiser M35A2.

jasonjc

Medlog how hard is it for you to look up the trucks unit history?? I have a few trucks I'd like to know more about, but don't want to take up alot of your time.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
sermis said:
Trying to ID the truck it's self. My ID plate SN# matches my title however the ID says W/O W and my truck has a winch and title says 76 AM General. The frame number has been removed. Don't know why or by whom. From what I can tell and guessing it is a 1967 Kiser M35A2.
Are you sure it has been removed? On the older trucks it is simply stamped in a different place - on the right (passenger) side frame rail. These numbers are typically 6 digits - and on many of the trucks from this time frame the manufacturing date (day, month, year) is stamped right next to the VIN.

With the registration number (hood or USA number), we can usually get close to the year.

Regards,
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jasonjc said:
Medlog how hard is it for you to look up the trucks unit history?? I have a few trucks I'd like to know more about, but don't want to take up alot of your time.
Me too.

ida34

sermis said:
The only way to remove them is to grind them off. Even then an acid solution will still show what the numbers were unless a lot of material was removed. When the number is stamped in it makes the metal under the characters slightly more dense. This allows he acid solution to bring the numbers back to being visible. The same thing is used when firearms serial numbers are ground off.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Sermis,

Let's try the easy way first. Send the serial number on the dataplate (and registration number if you can find it) and we can go from there.