• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front and rear markings

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this has been covered before, but, I can't figure out what the letters and numbers mean. I got with a guy at work in the Army Reserve, and he could only guess, 950MT=950th Maintenence? Anybody else got any ideas?

Attachments

The last unit that owned that truck was the 950th Maintenance Company (DS) from Los Alamitos, CA. This is a Direct Support (DS) maintenance Co assigned to the 63 RRC (Regional Readiness Command), formerly the 63RSC (Regional Support Command), also located in Los Alamitos.

The 63rd RRC (formerly RSC) is the Major Subordinate Headquarters, therefore the "63RSC" is on the top on the left bumper and "350MT" is the subordinate unit and their designation, "350MT", is below their command HQ designation.

The number on the right bumper is the assignment within the subordinate unit, a section, platoon, etc. So DS-310 is the section or platoon designation within the 350th Maint Co that used the truck.

m35a2cowner

Marking locations

Would it be possible, or has someone already done this, to get a sketch drawing of the deuce with an arrow pointing to all the possible marking locations on the deuce? I am going to have to admit to thinking a bumper (bumperete?) was the small rounded pieces of metal that hit the loading dock first. I didn't know it was on the gate. Which means I have bee looking in the wrong place and there is still chance of finding a number on mine. I think this would be helpful to all but the most experienced. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a few members on this site that can interpret these numbers. Anytime a thread like this one start, they always come through. I just want to say thanks to those few who steo up everytime and share the knowledge. I have a TM with alot of this stuff in it but either I'm too stupid for it to make sense, or the TM is written in a dialect of english other than redneck. Thanks guys! Now if we could just get one who knows the USMC or their transport units (Navy) markings we would be all set. Forget the Airforce, all their stuff uses part of the VIN. My Airforce wrecker will be traveling through my back yard metamorphasis chamber and emerging as a Navy truck. Who in the heck wants a blue deuce wrecker?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanna say thanks to jld66 for the insite. The markings on the gate are where they were when I got the beast, just masked over them when I squirted it. There are the same numbers on the front bumper, they'll have to be re done, the paint is peeling on the bumper. Does anyone know when the Regional Support Command was changed to the Regional Readiness Command? That might give me an idea as to when the truck was last used or maintained as a used truck, used meaning used in the unit it was assigned to. The 63RSC stencil is still in the glovebox. Too bad there's not a way to find out by the number stamped on the tag on the dash where the truck was stationed or served.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to tell where a truck has been is thru the bumper #'s once it has been DRMO'ed/GL'ed/GSA'ed/gotten rid of by Uncle Sam. If a truck is still in Active service, at least in the Army, there are a few ways to track it thru it's Serial and Reggie #, but once the truck is gotten rid of, all the info that goes with it gets deleted..

As for WHERE to look for bumper #'s for ARMY trucks...

#1 plase to look on the FRONT: both sides of the front bumper on the ends

#1 plase to look on the back: rear bumperettes, then tailgate, then in the no mans land inbetween the tailagte and bumperettes.

Other good places to find paperwork is glove boxes, BII/OVM boxes, behind the seats, under them, in the battery box.. You'd be amazed where 2404's and 5988E's end up.

Sometimes you find info painted inside the cab, on the inside of the doors, on the underside of the hood..

Bumper #'s are all SUPPOSED to be standardized as per the TB, but local command policy often overrides that.

Often a Google search on the MAjor COMmand or Battalion will provide info on units, where they are/were/ ect and can give you a good starting point for the last unit it served with.

I had trucks in my unit (4FSB, 4ID) that were transferred from from the 502nd FSB, 2nd AD. When the 2AD got disbanded, it got reflagged as the 4ID... If you looked hard enough under the layers of paint, you could make out the old 2AD bumper #'s.

WW

The RSCs were redesignated as RRCs in mid 2003. The 350th Maint Co and the 63rd RRC are still located in Los Alamitos, CA. They are probably co-located at the same reserve center.

The 350th was almost certainly the last Army (Reserve) owner/user of your truck. The truck was probably maintained by the 350th (that is their business). If they did not maintain the truck themselves then it would have been maintained by one of the AMSA (Area Maintenance Support Activity) shops that belong to the 63rd RSC/RRC.

There is no telling how long ago the 350th turned in the truck. Once the truck became excess to the 350th they would have turned it in to the 63rd RRC. The RRC would hold the vehicle until they determined that none of their other subordinate units would need it. Once it was determined to be excess to the RRC it would be turned in to a DRMO where it would first be listed for “screening” for transfer/donation first to other DoD activities, then other federal agencies, then states and their subdivisions or nonprofits and certain eligible charities. If no one picks it up from the screening lists then it will usually be offered for sale, usually by auction by our good friends (?), GL.

EMMADO has provided good information on where to look for numbers on Army vehicles. The manuals and bulletins provide guidelines as to what the bumper numbers should look like but the major commands make their own final rules. As an example Army Reserve vehicles will be marked differently than vehicles belonging to Active units. With a few exceptions you can count on the Major Command/Owning unit designations being on the left and the ultimate users ID, section, platoon, squad etc., being on the right. The markings will be the same front and rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks