• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front axle spindle nut removal

2deuce

What may work for 1 M1009 not necessarily will work for another. I've been trying to find the right tool to remove the spindle nut. I have a 4 pin socket that I have used to remove the nut on a different M1009 but my daughters M1009 is a 6 pin. Other threads mention a rare spindle nut and one recent thread said the W1270 socket from Oreilly's fit the 6 pin on his, but no joy here. The w1270 socket is much too big in diameter. The pin slots are on the inside of the nut, cut into the threads, making the diameter just 1/4" larger than the spindle itself. I took a picture, I hope it shows what I'm trying to say. I tried to drive the outer nut with a hammer but it is rock solid tight. I could go back to beating on it but I would like to find the correct socket.
Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

Jersey4x4

That looks like an old Dana 44 outer with the 6 roller bearing. There is actualy a 2 pin tool that was used for them and it was thin walled so it fit snug on the stub shaft and locked right into the nut.

2deuce

I found the answer over at colorado K5. They said they found the answer here on SS. There is supposed to be a jack pin in one of the slots that aligns with the keyway in the spindle. A 4-40 screw will take it out. There is no socket that fits the 6 pins. It should be loose after I get the pin out. If there is anything else to it, I'll post.
Greg

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you are talking about is a locking nut. You gotta clean all the old lube out. Then look very carefully at the nut that does not want to come off. You should see a slot in it. WITHIN that slot is a key. That key comes out - it's a square piece of metal that locks the nut to a groove in the spindle until it is removed.

Look very carefully. If that is what you've got you WILL mess up the spindle and the nut if you force it off.

Hope that helps.

If yours is like that, chances are it has not been disassembled - or if it has it was done correctly and put back together properly. If not, it was buggered up and the stock replacement nut from GM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks