• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle/ sprag clicking?

illtemper

I'm sure I read something about this here, but can't find it. took my m52a2 out today to move some big hay rolls around for a friend (no pics) and while driving through a gully/ditch my front made a clicking or ratchett sound. it was some pretty ugly terain,but thats what these are for,right. anyway ,the front pulled just fine and I never stopped moving,so it all must be working ,just a bit concerned as I've never heard that sound before.

Let me add that when I first got it (about a month ago) I took it to a gravel lot ,put it in 3rd and popped the clutch to see what broke. while I'm sure thats not the best test,it usually finds the weak spots. so, nothing broke and it left 10 tire marks about 1.5' long then just the drivers side for another 2'. all seemed to work like it should.

any info is appreciated,thanks in advance...Jon

5tonpuller

Another way to kinda check is jack up one front wheel.
Block the back ones of course so it does not roll you over. That would suck. With it in any gear but reverse the wheel should turn forward with some clicking sounds. Thats the sprage over running the dogs. It should not turn backwards. Oh yes, make sure you have air pressure up. Shift it in reverse and the wheel should turn back words and not forwards. When you shift from forward to reverse you should hear air escaping from the trans. area. If you was doing down hill and the back wheels where slipping on the grass ( assuming grass ) The front wheels would not hold you back. The over running sprage thing. This might be your clicking. I have not heard mine do this, But with the muffler on I might now.
My $.05 worth.

illtemper

I think its the sprag too ,just like a detroit locker,but this was WAY loud. when I get home next week I'll try lifting an axle and turning it, it just seemed alot louder than I expected. thanks...Jon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it was flexing alot, it could be the fan hitting the shroud. We have heard alot of that at Haspin. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks