• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FRont brake drum screw-out?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disclaimer: I read most threads and posts (including my own) stating that getting the drum off without removing the axle and then drum and hub as one is near impossible. And yes, I will take of the drum following the on the forum described method of taking the shafts out first etc etc.

Today I had a look-over on the truck's problems with a retired truck mechanic who is in to restoring old vehicles (tractors, motor cycles, Volkswagen). His daily driver is an old Jeep Wrangler, and he needs one living off the paved roads. He looked at the drum-hub construction, tried to get it free separately and - no surprise - failed.

However, he came with a suggestion which I found interesting and have not seen in the 5-ton threads.

He said to drill two or three or max four holes in the drum face between the wheel bolts. Just drill through it about 1/2 mm into the hub flange, just enough to make a small indent. He suggested 8 mm, and then make a thread for a 10 mm bolt into it. Then turn on the bolts while softly tapping the drum. They used to do that with all old Czech trucks and it always works.

Anybody tried that here on an M54 or M809?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks