• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front end wobble only at 30-35mph

Hey guys was wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue. My humvee is a 1097r with 6.5/4 speed and the front end seems to hop/wobble between 30-35mph but is perfect at all other speeds. Thought it might be my tires so I rebalanced them with weights twice and it didn't help, so I ended up fluid balancing them but the front end bobbing is still there but runs smooth as silk at 70mph on the interstate and all other speeds.

I did find there is a little play in the pitman arm but you can't feel the wobble in the wheel at all so I don't think that is it and couldn't find anything else loose or have any play like the axles but you can see the hood moving at the above problem speed.

Balance and alignment.
Balance could still be a issue if one of the tires in messed up internally but I would image you would fell some vibration at highway speeds then.

Alignment is not something I have looked at and will definitely look at the alignment, would do it now if it wasn't raining.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it "up and down" as in an out of round/balance tire or is it "side to side" felt mostly through the steering wheel?
Side to side would be more serious, careful inspection and replacement of any defective components would be the first thing, then a complete alignment.
You could also swap tires front to rear and see if it changes.

Is it "up and down" as in an out of round/balance tire or is it "side to side" felt mostly through the steering wheel?
Side to side would be more serious, careful inspection and replacement of any defective components would be the first thing, then a complete alignment.
You could also swap tires front to rear and see if it changes.
Up and Down. Ya I've been thinking I need to swap them to see if it's the tires or not. It's nice out today so I might be able to get that done today.

williamh

Well the good thing that most parades only run at @2mph. I chased that same gremlin and ended up replacing all the tires and getting rid of the runflats. If I need runflats I’ll just foam fill the wheels on my way outta town. 😉

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks