• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front End Wobble?

dabtl

When the deuce hits a bump it begins to shimmy and wobble violently.

I have read that the tires, NDCC, when worn unevenly cause most of the problem.

Any thoughts on changing the tires, left to right and vice versa, for curing the problem?

I am assuming it is the wear pattern and the harmonics caused by the wear?

dabtl

I had read that. I wonder if the lowering of air pressure on one side will make a difference? I think I will find out by varying the pressure on both.

An interesting problem, these harmonics must be weird.

acetomatoco

You put a couple of the inner rears on the front and check your toe in and remove some shims from your kingpins and set the drag on your steering box and a few other things and your problem will be mitigated.

dabtl

I just found the front tires had 40lbs. pressure. I will run it to 50 tomorrow. I also note it needs greasing. Perhaps that is some of the problem?

Srjeeper

If it's tire pressure, it will usually pull the steering one way or the other. Wobbles are usually caused by bearings worn or out of adjustment, or steering part wear. Start at the wheels and work your way back to the steering box looking for excessive movement, rust, bent or damaged parts. You also want to check the spring attachment points for the same things. This can be extremely dangerious in a truck with no power assist steering, so I wouldn't wait to check it out or have it checked out.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

dabtl

Well, next it will be the bearings, I am sure. No biggie for an ace mechanic such as myself. I will do the bearings with the install of the jatonka lockout hubs.

dabtl

New shocks, on to the bearings, next. This is actually kind of fun. As a lawyer I do not get into this kind of thing, much.

Oh, well, buy me some more hand cleaner.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed tires on mine. Didn't do it before the change, did it after, only between 45 an 48 MPH...figures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks