• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front end wobbles.....

sailor2000

My Deuce front tires start to wobble badly at about 45 mph... then it smoothes back out at about 50 mph... the steering wheel pulls from side to side and the whole front end of the truck shakes... I have about 4 inches play in the steering wheel from the steering box which I will adjust out tomorrow... but the tie rod ends, etc look OK.. is this normal or a sign of something bad developing???? Is it likely to be tires? The have the 'usual' angled wear pattern... Any ideas gang???

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front end with NDCC tires is very sensitive to uneven wear. Start fresh with new identical tires in the front and don't include them in any kind of rotation.
My current front tires have 5,000 miles on them and were new when installed (thanks, Jason in AR!) and there is no wobble or shimmy at any speed....(running singles also cuts down on front tire wear).

sailor2000

Re: RE: Front end wobbles.....

cranetruck said:
Start fresh with new identical tires in the front ....(running singles also cuts down on front tire wear).
'NEW' tires on a deuce???? My web searches don't even turn up anyone who sells them, let alone at a reasonable price!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There really should be civilian oversight if the govt. is paying $532.41 for these......becuase that's flat retarded.

alphadeltaromeo

*thinks that perhaps he needs to get in the tire biz* I'd be willing to sell them to the gobment for $432.41/tire. Think of the savings for our country...I mean, a $100.00 savings per tire!!!

dirtyfingernails

Seems to me that since the governement is buying like a gazillion of these things (anything they purchase is in bulk) that they should be paying LESS than the civies, right?! Just isn't logical.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titans NDCC 9x20's list at $355.08 each.

I dont recall seeing any NDCC's 9x20's at the local guard units OTHER than Titans when they order them. I think Titan is the last contractor out there that still makes them. All the others have gone out of business, or dropped the NDCC tire.

I have never seen a Wade Wallace tire, I dont know if they meet the MIL SPEC's, which I am sure there are.. Any one know? The govt also awards contracts on things like past performance, which Im sure Titan has a long history of with Uncle Sam. Price is sometimes secondary to that.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And now the 2 sisters are looking at jail time. There is a BIG difference between making a few bucks off of Uncle Sam, and outrigth SCREWING him.. And he doesnt like to be screwed...

FormerNewMVGuy

I'vebeen playing e-mail tag with that company for about a week now, I wanted to by two new skins for the front, I hope it works out like it did for you.

Deuceswild

NewMVGuy said:
I'vebeen playing e-mail tag with that company for about a week now, I wanted to by two new skins for the front, I hope it works out like it did for you.
I contacted them directly by phone and had NO problems at all.

Barrman

Genesco has them as well. They have a place on Old Spanish Trail and a big lot out in Yokum. I don't have their website here at home. If I remember, I will post it from work Monday.

By the way, the front end shaking like that is commonly referred to as "Death Wobble."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks