• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front stearing knuckle U-joint

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tore down the passenger side of the front axle today to replace a leaking axle seal and boot. As I was cleaning the tons of grease off of everything I noticed a little movement in the u-joint. It's just a little that you barely can feel. Everything moves freely. Do I need to replace the joint or is a little slack ok?
If I have to replace it is there a Napa number or is it strickly military? I looked in the parts cross-reference and didn't find a cross.
On the axle boot the TM says to use cement on the zipper. I don't have any "military cement" so I'm assuming RTV silicone will work?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally cleaned all the grease off it and I'm going to need a U-joint.
I may need one of your joints (let me know the price) but I've got to ask, how the heck do you get to it to grease it?

$40 Basically you got to take the zipper off the outside of it to get in there with a flexible grease gun nozzle, and turn the wheel so the knuckle is cranked one way or the other and then grease it. Unless your real good and can do it blindly and stick the nozzle threw the zipper part of the boot and get it to attach and grease it. But i would just grease it up and such before you install the boot and spindle back on when you put the shaft back in it. We got the greaseable ones cause its what most offroad guys like to have. (there always tearing down axles)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks