• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front winch install progress..slow, but moving along

OD_Coyote

Well - I made a some progress installing the frame extensions, winch brackets and remounting the bumper. I probably will not get the winch installed until I go through it this winter. Besides after reading some of the posts on this fine site, I think will install the winch drive shaft before I mount the winch. Anyway, here is a pic and I must say the old girl really looks stout with the bumper mounted for a winch. All I need is a drive shaft and the winch control lever/mounting bracket and I will be good to go. :mrgreen:

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to think about adding some deck plates on the sides between the bumper and fenders, if you are into extras.

rizzo

I made the mistake of bolting up the winch before the driveshaft and had to loosen it up to install the shaft.

it doesnt take long to install, I lifted it up there and set it in place as my wife put a 2x4 under the top plate as a lever and adjusted it up and down so I could get the bolts lined up.

i installed a second one but did not have soldier "W", so I had to use a winch, a tree limb and a snatch block. took longer

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been a number of years since I last installed a deuce winch, but isn't the shaft splined? Or, am I mistakenly remembering the 5 ton winch drive shaft? I know I installed the winch before I installed the drive shaft and I know I did not have to loosen the winch.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD_Coyote said:
Well - I made a some progress installing the frame extensions, winch brackets and remounting the bumper. I probably will not get the winch installed until I go through it this winter. Besides after reading some of the posts on this fine site, I think will install the winch drive shaft before I mount the winch. Anyway, here is a pic and I must say the old girl really looks stout with the bumper mounted for a winch. All I need is a drive shaft and the winch control lever/mounting bracket and I will be good to go. :mrgreen:
Now you just need the 4th bracket...unless you found one already. Looks AWSOME. With only the bumper extensions on, do you have to remove the bumper again to put on the winch brackets?

I can't wait to put mine on as well. I painted my brackets today. I'll paint the winch after rebuild.

rizzo

BKubu said:
It has been a number of years since I last installed a deuce winch, but isn't the shaft splined? Or, am I mistakenly remembering the 5 ton winch drive shaft? I know I installed the winch before I installed the drive shaft and I know I did not have to loosen the winch.
it was just a little bit, spent 10minutes turning it every which way and it wouldn't fit.

OD_Coyote

Now you just need the 4th bracket...unless you found one already. Looks AWSOME. With only the bumper extensions on, do you have to remove the bumper again to put on the winch brackets?

I can't wait to put mine on as well. I painted my brackets today. I'll paint the winch after rebuild.
Hey bigmike - How's it going? I got the 4th bracket from Saturn Surplus and I will more than likely pull the bumper to install the winch, but I do not think it is absolutely necessary.
I just figured it might be easier to install the winch drive shaft with the bumper removed, but I will try to install the drive shaft with the bumper installed first.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Front winch install progress..slow, but moving along

Driveshaft is a quick 10 second placement with the winch out. Once sitting in place you can drop the winch right in. I use a piece of masonite to protect the radiator in case the winch gets bumped. Do you have the 12 shouldered bolts to mount the winch?

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: Re: Front winch install progress..slow, but moving a

Recovry4x4 said:
Driveshaft is a quick 10 second placement with the winch out. Once sitting in place you can drop the winch right in. I use a piece of masonite to protect the radiator in case the winch gets bumped. Do you have the 12 shouldered bolts to mount the winch?
That is good to know Recovry4X4....Thanks!
No, I do not have the shouldered bolts yet.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Re: Front winch install progress..slow, but movi

Follow the advice and protect the radiator. I poked a big hole in mine putting the winch in last month.

The Winch drive shaft has a spined slip yoke on the PTO end. If you loosen the collar on the splines, it will compress enough to allow you to put the shaft in from underneath after the winch is in. I did mine that way. I would recommend the shaft first and then the winch method though.

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Front winch install progress..slow, but

Barrman said:
Follow the advice and protect the radiator. I poked a big hole in mine putting the winch in last month.

The Winch drive shaft has a spined slip yoke on the PTO end. If you loosen the collar on the splines, it will compress enough to allow you to put the shaft in from underneath after the winch is in. I did mine that way. I would recommend the shaft first and then the winch method though.
I did not loosen the collar. maybe that is why it wouldnt fit. thanks for the tip.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Front winch install progress..slow,

Make sure the slip joint actaully slips easily before you go pushing it all the way in too. I have two complete trucks with winch, but only one winch. I used the shaft that was on the truck when I went to put it together. It didn't want to slide all the way in, so I helped it with a few gentle "taps" onto a 12"x12" block of wood. It went all the way compressed. I haven't gotten it back off yet either. I had already put the hole in the radiator, so I didn't want to pull the winch back off. I went to the other truck and pulled that shaft off. It of course was stuck to the PTO. The slip yoke slipped just fine though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks