• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Winch

ChuckM

I was reviewing the tm9-3830-501 for winch maintenance and see the front winch has a capacity of 9,500 lbs (page 1- 8 ). Is this correct? For some reason I thought they were rated for 20,000 lbs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, looks right to me! I never noticed they were 400ish lbs. No wonder I don't like moving them without a lifting device!

Jared

I noticed that also. The -10 lists the front winch capacity at 20K Lbs. I've wondered if the rating given in the -10 and what seems to be the commonly accepted rating is expecting that you would be using a snatch block which would effectively double the basic winch rating.

The difference is even greater for the rear winch. Always referred to and in the -10 as 45K Lbs yet the winch manual says 14500.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it slows down when you load it to its limit. The spec in the TM states "at 15 feet per minute".
It's 100% mechanical. If the winch slows down, the engine slows down too or something breaks. FWIW I've done lots and lots of winching. I've never set the idle above 1000 and I've never ran out of power and bogged the engine. I have broken shear pins.