• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel bleed question

Hasdrubal

Putting in a new fuel lift pump, which only lasted 5 years. I decided to replace the fuel filter housing assembly at the same time. Tomorrow I"m going to bleed the system using compressed air via the fuel tank. I know how to bleed the filter. Question is, I have now allowed some air into the line that goes from the filter assembly to the IP. After bleeding filter, should I just start it and hope she clears up or disconnect the pink wire to the IP and crank her for a while so that the air in the line compresses somewhat, or crank her until the air hopefully passes the IP. Not sure about it. Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:

ralbelt

After I had my heads, fuel pump, intake and lines off last year, I cracked all the injector lines and cranked her over till I got fuel at the injectors,didn't take much cranking.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the air in the line to the IP, it is just like you have run the truck out of fuel.

Standard bleeding procedures.

Bleed the injectors like it is suggested above. You will want the pink wire attached or you will not get any fuel to flow.

Hasdrubal

Just to clear up the misinformation. Consulted a knowledgable CUCV guy up here. As I thought, as long as you dont have air in the injector lines, you dont have to bleed them. The IP can purge the air on its own, it should be done with the cold start activated. It will run rough, sputter, die a few times but she clears right up. As for bleeding with air, I had to crank it to get fuel past the lift pump. If you're just changing the filter it works but when you change the lift pump there is air in the line that just compresses and seem to not be able to get past the lift pump sheck valve.

Disciple

One more noob dummy question: do you have to re-tighten the lines at the injectors as you are cranking once you get fuel coming out from them or can you crank, get fuel, then jump out and tighten? Basically, is this a one or two man operation?

Hasdrubal

For bleeding the injectors I like to cut a couple of long pieces of cardboard That sit against the inner fender and angle down towards the exhaust. This allows you to see how much of a fuel spray pattern has come out of each injector. I found that just going by a wet injector line wasn't good enough in many cases there was still air in the lines, she wouldn't fire and had to repeat bleeding. Plus it keeps from getting diesel all over the place

Efituned

I just replaced my pump and filter. I took line off going from the filter to the IP and used a hand-held brake vacuum pump and sucked all the air out. Once I got fuel in the vacuum pump reservoir I put the line back on and cranked it. It started right up, hick-uped for a second, then I was good to go with no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks