• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Change

HardCorps79

Okay, so I just finished changing the oil/filter and air filter tonight. Who knew the M1009 could run so quietly? The oil was absolute sludge, and though the air filter wasn't exactly filthy, it has a sticky yellow film completely clogging it. From starter fluid? Anyway, it was 30 degrees out and wind gusting pretty high. My fingers are numb and there's oil spray all over the ground from the wind (I'm pretty sure only about half of it made it into the drain pan.)

So tomorrow, I'm planning to change the fuel filter. Locked on the part number from NAPA and read the -20 manual section. It seems pretty easy, but my two questions are:

Section 3-17, Step 4 says to discard the two seals, then later on it says to replace them. So- do I need to do this, and if so, where do I get the seals?

And now for the idiot of the day question (since I've never done this before): After replacing the filter, do I need to bleed the fuel system?

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the large pink wire from the front of the IP, release the two clips holding the filter on, have rags underneath filter, pull filter straight off, install new filter straight on being carefull not to damage probes, secure two mounting clips, attach hose to top drain fitting on filter base and open top bleeder screw a couple of turns, crank engine until a steady flow of fuel comes out the hose, close bleeder screw, re-attach pink wire. Done. No seals.

dmc-4359

I did exactly what M38inmaine described, worked great. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is used the little fuel filter drain on the bottom left of the base so that I didn't need rags under the filter when I pulled it free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks