• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel filter draining and it aint supposed to

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been playing around in the Toads engine compartment and I noticed fluid leaking down the fire wall below the heater hose. I looked underneath and sure enough a small puddle. I tightened the clamp to the heater and leak went away, or so I thought. In addition to the AF dripping, fuel is coming out of the drain line. Not from the outside, from the inside. I checked the vent on top, nice and tight, Checked the drain fixture, same thing, nice and tight. It only drips when the engine is running and then for a couple of minutes after the engine shuts down.

Internal failure of the filter or fuel filter housing? I did notice that both the drain fitting and the vent fitting were missing their O rings. Not sure if that's a factore since there isn't any fuel coming from the outside of the fittings. Only down the drain line.

Any ideas?

In the attached PDF, its Items 4 (all there), 5 (2 each missing), 6, (its there too), and 14 (also there) fuel is draining down line number 24.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the problem. If anyone ever notices fuel draining from the filter drain line and you've tightened the dog snot out of the fitting and it won't stop, it's the rubber grommet up inside the drain orifice (can i say that word :shock: and not get in trouble?). Anyway, over time the rubber has hardened and is no longer capable of maintaining a tight seal. I pried it out, turned is 180 degrees put it back in and it stopped leaking. It's only a temp fix, the grommet is not going to last. The part is not on the diagram in the previous post. I'm replacing the entire filter base as soon as it gets here.

I wonder if there is a source for those grommets?:confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks