• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Mod for Mep-002A

joesco

Just took delivery on a Mep-002A Genset/Trailer. With the help via PM's from a couple members, I have started the refurb. I much prefer a spin-on fuel filter setup and found a Wix 33418 fuel filter base on line for cheap money.

My question is, would it make sense to keep the OEM fuel/water separator, remove the two OEM filter can's and add the Wix Spin-on Fuel Filter base with a 2 micron filter or just go with the single Spin-on Filter with a Wix filter/water separator that has a 12 micron filter?

Thanks folks!

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Personally, I'd go with the finer mesh final filter and keep the stock filter / water separator. That first filter lasts a long time, since you can clean it if dirty. If it ever becomes too grungy to use, you can remove it and put the Wix separator in its place, and still have a final 2 micron filter mesh size.

IPs are expensive; a fine mesh filter never hurts (provided you've got spares in case it clogs during a power outage).

joesco

Thanks gain Carl for your help. I pre-filter all my #2 diesel (home heating oil / off-road diesel) using a 2 micron sock filter before using it in my tractor and existing Chinese diesel generator. It is a pain, but you can't imagine what you find at the bottom of the sock filter when you done filtering 55 gallons of fuel!