• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter question

mhb285

I was helping my friend Walter today change all his fuel filters. And I ran across this one in the lower 1st (primary?) location. Looks like a old one. And it looks like a better one than the replacement we got from Ted's.
Any idea where to get this kind of filter? I tried to look them up online, no luck.
Mike

Attachments

acetomatoco

I do believe that is the incorrect primary.. for the reasons stated above... No room for water and debris below it...

acetomatoco

I have a couple of them with the scraper... This filter cannot seal .... they need to be an outside in... to keep the stuff out... nothing but clean fuel should be in the filter...so I fail to understand...The comments about "hollow cavity in the filter..." But I guess the hundred or so that I have changed must all be wrong...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think someone is confusing the water seperator (on the frame) with the primary filter (on the engine), plus it is so easy to buy the correct filters for each location, why try to use something that may not work well?

I just found a similar Facet Filter in the Primary Fuel Filter (Framerail location) last night when I started to change it. It looked exactly like that one BUT it was about half the length. I am trying to find the replacement for that one as well. The NAPA 3511 number from the website did not give me a good feeling it would work correctly so I put the truck back together the way it was and decided to look into SPIN-ON designs for the future. These canister filters OIL and FUEL are a pain and leak too much.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nathan, Antelope Valley has the Facet "hard element " filters for the seperator.

houdel

mhb285 said:
I ran across this one in the lower 1st (primary?) location.--Mike
That filter is way too long for a primary filter. It is most likely a secondary filter that some GI Joe stuck in there because it was what he had in hand at the time. The primary filter is about 1/2 the length of a secondary filter, to allow water and other miscellaneous crud to fall out in the bottom of the primary cannister and not plug up the primary filter.

See the attached picture. The filter on the left is an original primary filter, original secondary filter in the middle and a new Baldwin replacement secondary filter on the right.

Attachments

sprucemt

RE: Re: Fuel filter question

The A-10 Warthog jet uses similar filters as the 2 1/2 ton truck. The pic on 6/9 ( 100-3059) is the secondary fuel filter on the Warthog.The primary looks the same but is shorter. The nice feature of the Warthog filter is that they can be cleaned easily and reused.

FormerNewMVGuy

I just changed my fuel filters and had the exact same filter down on the water seperater< as this was my first filter change on this truck my first thought was they sent me the wrong dang filter for that one.
These are the filters i took out

Attachments

dabtl

Get the spin on primary fuel filter conversion from jatonka. You will be much happier. I know.

houdel

The long primary filter element is incorrect. The short element is used in the primary filter to create a sump in the bottom of the filter cannister for water and crud to settle out.

FormerNewMVGuy

Well the one i put back in was the short one. But that is one odd looking filter there. The filter part feels like ceramic or stone of somesort? I'm taking it to my friends service station and try to cross reference the number
BTW there was so much junk in the bottom of the canisters that when i opened the petcocks nothing would come out of them,Took me a while to clean out the canisters

sprucemt

The material is a spun fiber. If you were to use the wrong cleaning compound on them, they will dissolve. If you scrub too hard on the surface, they will shead. Originally they were white. They have the same NSN with a different part # as the 2 1/2 ton filter. Last I checked, I had both styles in stock of the primary filter.