• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Question?

VF4 Smith

The primary fuel filter under driver side wheel well has a valve stem on top of the filter housing. Is this for purging air from the system after changing the filter? If so what is the procedure for this?

74M35A2

I have not checked the TM, but the only way this canister will drain from the bottom valve on my truck is if I depress this top mounted Schrader valve to actually allow air into the system.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, I guess I miss read it. I use the top one when you open the bottom one, helps it drain. Some of the A0 and A1's do not have the top one.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have pictures of this valve stem? I don't see one on mine, or a place where one could be installed. I don't see how it could be used for priming, unless there's a check valve between the filter and the tank and you pumped diesel into the stem.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking about it, I guess if you pressurized the tank, you could bleed the air off the filter with it. I've never found it necessary though...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is it truly a Schrader valve? I guess you could un-screw the valve and use a vacuum gun to prime it with.

74M35A2

It is.

I never understood how people pressurize the fuel tank. Isn't it vented? Also with it's large surface areas, even a few PSI would blow a wall of it out.

The more I think about the potential leak areas of this filter, the more I don't like it and want to remove or replace it with a spinner.

red

It is.

I never understood how people pressurize the fuel tank. Isn't it vented? Also with it's large surface areas, even a few PSI would blow a wall of it out.
It's a proven method for priming the fuel system. Even on brand new class 8 trucks and equipment.

74M35A2

I'm not against it, just don't understand how it is done. How is the tank vent handled? Easy to say block it, but do people really do it? Just blow more air in than what the vent can relieve? Makes sense if so.

OTR (Over The Road) trucks typically have cylindrical tanks. M939 tanks are rectangular with large flat surfaces. Even 2psi is huge pressure against a wall and may cause it to bow or "oil can".

Cummins ISX engines have an electric lift pump on the engine mounted fuel distribution manifold. A lot of other engines or filters have a mechanical priming pump, including the 6CTA8.3. Every diesel engine we are testing here at work has a pump of one sort or another. Not sure why people are blowing air into fuel tanks if this hardware is present and operational.

I think the Schrader valve is to vent the canister during water drain.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck has the vent on the intake stack, just use that. I have used it a number of times.

It is.

The more I think about the potential leak areas of this filter, the more I don't like it and want to remove or replace it with a spinner.

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top air vent. Can use used by letting air out for the bottom plug or to pressurize the fuel system from the tank or to put a vacuum pump to suck Air from the system they all work

red

I'm not against it, just don't understand how it is done. How is the tank vent handled? Easy to say block it, but do people really do it? Just blow more air in than what the vent can relieve? Makes sense if so.
Cummins ISX engines have an electric lift pump on the engine mounted fuel distribution manifold. A lot of other engines or filters have a mechanical priming pump, including the 6CTA8.3. Every diesel engine we are testing here at work has a pump of one sort or another. Not sure why people are blowing air into fuel tanks if this hardware is present and operational.
Those electric lift pumps from the manufacturer only have enough suction if the fuel filters are full and the fuel lines have absolutely no air leaks. Once the lines are about 6-12 months old they can't prime a empty system anymore. Alot of my roadside calls as a mechanic was for that.

Personally with priming the system I remove the return line fitting and pressurize the tank from there. Then take my finger and use it to cover the vent line. Does 2 things this way. 1. I can visually see when the system is primed because fuel will be coming out of the return line. 2. Easy to quickly reduce the pressure on the tank.

You're not cranking the fuel tank up to 120 psi. 5 psi is enough and the tank won't split or deform from that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks