• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel gauge issues and front tire wear r

goatijoe

The fuel gauge in my m35a2 has allways had this problem since I have had it and I don't know if its the sending unit or the gauge acting up when you get below a half a tank the gauge defaults back to full but the gauge reads right between full and half but hours back up to full for the last half of the tank its kinda nice its like a **** idiot light in a car reminding you to fill up but I never have seen a gauge do this before I know how to test to find out if the gauge is bad or the sending unit is and I have another issue with the front tires wearing faster than the back I've checked the alighment on it its fine rides down the road strait but it just seams that it eats the front tires but I've never ran tires like this I've got ndcc all the way around any ideas on this Maby a good pressure to run or anything that would help would be helpful

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Fronts get chewed up quick. 8 tires pushing 2 around corners will do that, try rotating them more often. Have you pulled the sending unit to see if it needs cleaning? Thats one part I don't have on the shelf to check resistance, so you can test yours.hb

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to say you have a sending unit issue. Most gauges I've see either work or they don't. Shorts or bad contact in the sending unit rheostat can cause the gauge to jump around crazy.

dittle

I had trouble reading your post without any punctuation. Glad someone else could decipher it for you.

phil2968

I had the same problems with mine. We found the grounds on the sending unit were not making connection. This gauge needs grounding to go all the empty.

My front tires were cupping on the outside bad. We found the front was toed in way to much. We set the toe to 1/8 of an inch wider at the rear at the center of the tread.
We just drove 1500 miles with it and saw no wear at all on the fronts. It still drives just fine and does not wander.

Hope you get yours fixed.

paulfarber

The TM has the correct FULL and EMPTY ohm readings. I don't have it on me, but it in there.

I don't know if you can get to the rheostat to clean it, but gounds are the quick and easy thing to check. There should be one wire coming from the fuel pump assy to the frame.

AceHigh

I made a cheap and easy toe in gauge using a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe with a 1/2" cpvp pipe inside. Took a little electrical tape to make it slide in and out but stay in place as you measured.

Easy to check in back and front and determine toe in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only thing that lies more consistantly than a career politician is a military vehicle fuel guage.

I never trust them....I keep a paint stirring stick in all my trucks and when I can't see the fuel in the strainer I dip it. When it gets to a 1/4 tank I fill her up.

I have the same issue with tire cupping on my primary work deuce......only the outside wears......I just swap them out with a rear tire when they get too bad.

RAYZER

my front tires were cupping real bad also,after adjusting my toe in and rotating the tires, the condition improved considerably. I think that your fuel gauge malfunction could be bad ground related.
:grd:

paulfarber

The only thing that lies more consistantly than a career politician is a military vehicle fuel guage.

I never trust them....I keep a paint stirring stick in all my trucks and when I can't see the fuel in the strainer I dip it. When it gets to a 1/4 tank I fill her up.

I have the same issue with tire cupping on my primary work deuce......only the outside wears......I just swap them out with a rear tire when they get too bad.

I use the handle from the budd wrench. Nice coat of oil (I burn WMO exclusively) keeps it and everything else in the tool box from rusting.