• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel in oil? cause

sermis

I think I am getting fuel into the oil. I know that fuel can get in if the FDC is leaking but what if the flame heater is leaking. I have so much WMO and ATF in my fuel it is hard to tell by smell but it looks and feels thin and pressure is a little above 15 psi. I also noticed fuel dripping from the slobber tube and a little smoke after shutdown.
I know the motor is multi fuel but if the FDC is bypassed can you still run WMO, ATF, ETC through it without any problem or does it still need the FDC to meter the fuel?

fstfrdy

dont know about the fdc, but i had that problem on my work truck(95 peterbilt w/ detroit 60 series) ended up losing the o-rings in two injectors and was putting fuel straight in the oil

devilman96

If your running heavy oil yeah you need the FDC... If your doing 10% or something... No.

The flame heater would be doubtful... It would be smoking like a train when running...

SasquatchSanta

d-man wrote:

If your running heavy oil yeah you need the FDC... If your doing 10% or something... No.
Ouch --- this isn't good news as I've bypassed my FDC.

I thought the only thing the FDC really did was to allow the same amount of pedal with all fuels. In other words, with heavy oil and the FDC bypassed, you wouldn't have to use as much throttle as you would with straight NR-2 diesel?

The flip-side of that would be when running straight NR-1 (w/the FDC bypassed) you would have to use more pedal/throttle. Am I wrong/over simplifying it?

If I have to do a reverse by-pass operation I'll have to re-set the fuel and droop screw.

Kwai

Change your oil and check keep an eye on it. The FDC just tries to keep the power constant for fuels with different heating values (gasoline-WMO). The multi-fuel aspect of the motor is due to the head/cylinder design. Sounds to me like you have a leak somewhere.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the O-rings of the hydraulic head, a leak here will let fuel into the crankcase oil.
An oil analysis should be in order, I have done many and it's always very informative.

The FDC is not really "needed" regardless of type of fuel and would only really have a noticable effect during heavy loading of the engine. For veggie oil and biodiesel, the FDC works in the opposite direction, reducing the fuel delivery....

desertfox

With a drop in oil pressure and oil level is up and perhaps pouring out of a main/pan seal, the injection pump is probably leaking fuel into the crankcase. Had to have mine resealed earlier this year. Over the course of just a few days my oil pressure went from 30 to 5#. Oil was pouring out of the front pan/main seal.

bugei

hole in a piston or rings. when mine did this (hole in piston), i lost a motor (main bearings and rod bearings) because the oil finally got so thin that it was no longer lubricating. OUCH

in my defense, i bought it that way and was within 10 miles of home on a 120 mile recovery. i slowly watched the oil pressure drop, kept stopping and checking it, should have clued on the thinning oil.

bottleworks

Re: RE: Fuel in oil? cause

devilman96 said:
That seems to contradict mine and other people's results. The FDC is not needed. There are some here running 100% UMO. I have been at 75-80% UMO. I bypassed my FDC long ago.

fstfrdy said:
but i had that problem on my work truck(95 peterbilt w/ detroit 60 series) ended up losing the o-rings in two injectors and was putting fuel straight in the oil
The multi-fuel engine does not use a common rail system. The injectors are external to the head unlike the Detroit Diesel 50/60 series.

sermis

RE: Re: RE: Fuel in oil? cause

Without the FDC is there a problem EGT's
I bypassed the FDC on the truck, also replaced the "D" turbo with a "C" turbo.
It will fly.
5th gear up hill it will accelerate.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel in oil? cause

sermis said:
Without the FDC is there a problem EGT's
I bypassed the FDC on the truck, also replaced the "D" turbo with a "C" turbo.
It will fly.
5th gear up hill it will accelerate.
You really need a pyro, you are playing with fire. :)