• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injection pump and fuel injection plugs

sirmax123

Hi!

I found out my fuel injection pump, plugs and line are in terrible state.
I tried to find where I can buy used but in good state without any success. Possible it happened because my English is not good enough but anyway I need your help.

I have the following questions:

1. Where can I purchase fuel injection system parts (pump, plugs, lines)

2. Are there any problems with installation fuel pump and plugs by myself? Which tool I will need? Or it too difficult to do and it is better to ask someone? Which problems I will face with?

2.1 Do I need tank fuel pump? what is it? (I had only one fuel pump in my previous car, it was isuzu rodeo)

3. Glow plugs. I don't understand how it works. I have switch in my truck which switches glow plugs ON manually. And I don't understand - is it OK? I have no experience with diesel engines before, so could you please give me explanation how it should work?

Sorry if my questions looks like what can be found in Google, but I did not find.
Possible because my "technical English" skill is not good enough.

Any help will be high appreciated!

Max
Ukraine, Kharkov.

cpf240

Please take a look at the TM's here on this site. There is a very helpful trouble-shooting section in them, including one for the glow plug system.

The glow plugs are pretty much just little heaters, and are only needed when doing a cold start. Once the engine is up to temp, you won't need to use them on restarts.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, pretty much every subject has been covered, some of it in painful detail. You may find it easier to use google to search this site. This can be done by putting in your search terms, and then adding "site:steelsoldiers.net" at the end of the query.

For example, on google enter this search term "CUCV glow plug testing site:steelsoldiers.com"

I use the CUCV search term to try and limit the results to just things from the CUCV portion of the forum.

Good luck!

sirmax123

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I understand my questions looks a little bit "stupid", but it is not because I'm too lazy to use google. I can't read manual fast and it took me days to find what I need and I don't understand all abbreviation.
E.g. when I tried to translate from Russian "brake line" I got "brake pipe" and wasted a lot of time trying to find part with wrong name.

That is why I'm asking for explanation.
It will be very helpful if you'll be able to give me numbers of TMs and page numbers where to read.

Anyway thank a lot for your help.

Hasdrubal

You mentioned you need lines. Are those the hard metal lines going from IP to injectors or the rubber return lines going between injectors?
Because Germany is closer and shipping charges would be less, this site has lots of CUCV parts ; http://www.us-army-military-shop.de/Chevy-Ex-Army-K5-/K30:::68.html

Although ,I now see they no longer offer an IP or injector set. At 1350 euros for the pump and 850 for injectors, thats too much. Some of their other parts are reasonable.

There are many places in US to get these items. Here is one I am considering. The prices here are the lowest I've seen. Others here have recomended this place; IP # 2011 http://pensacoladiesel.com/chevy-gm-up-to-99/fuel-injection-pumps-and-accessories/ Tell them its for a J-code engine. It says they have a core charge of $75.00. Most places charge more, extra cost unless you ship them your old IP. As your shipping cost would be high, It might be cheaper to just pay the $75.00. Some member here said they did not charge for the J-code core. You could e-mail them and ask.

Injectors #2023 or remnufactured # 2023R which are cheaper, and you will need intake install kit # 2017 ; http://pensacoladiesel.com/chevy-gm-up-to-99/injectors-nozzles-and-inst-kits/

If you have decent mechanical skills, yes..you could do the work yourself. TM 2320-289-34 has most of the information you need. You need to remove the intake manifold first. There are threads on this forum that cover IP removal and installation. If you cant find them I can e-mail the links to you.

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

You get what you pay for
That site screams chinese parts to me

Bosch, Stanadyne, Delphi are acceptable manufacturers.

All others prepare for the worst, poor spray and random pop pressure

Hasdrubal

I haven't ordered anything from them, was turned onto this site by another member who bought a IP. I of course would inquire about the injector brand before buying but the IP appears to be OK, cant see them using Chinese parts in that. I share your revulsion for these poorly made parts.

This from their site ;
Pensacola Diesel is not an authorized Bosch distributor, but we do rebuild all Bosch pumps and injectors with genuine Bosch parts. Our decision to avoid becoming an authorized Bosch distributor was because of strict limitations forced by Bosch that regulate where a business can sell and whom they can sell to. Ultimately these limitations would force us to raise our prices for products of exactly the same quality.
Pensacola Diesel has been accused of utilizing none Bosch parts of inferior build quality manufactured in China. Despite the fact that we do use genuine Bosch parts, many of Bosch’s parts are manufactured in China. This isn’t a secret. In fact, most Bosch packages state right on the side of the box “Made in China”.

Last edited:

tbearatkin

Hi!

I found out my fuel injection pump, plugs and line are in terrible state.
I tried to find where I can buy used but in good state without any success. Possible it happened because my English is not good enough but anyway I need your help.

I have the following questions:

1. Where can I purchase fuel injection system parts (pump, plugs, lines)

2. Are there any problems with installation fuel pump and plugs by myself? Which tool I will need? Or it too difficult to do and it is better to ask someone? Which problems I will face with?
2.1 Do I need tank fuel pump? what is it? (I had only one fuel pump in my previous car, it was isuzu rodeo)

3. Glow plugs. I don't understand how it works. I have switch in my truck which switches glow plugs ON manually. And I don't understand - is it OK? I have no experience with diesel engines before, so could you please give me explanation how it should work?
Sorry if my questions looks like what can be found in Google, but I did not find.
Possible because my "technical English" skill is not good enough.

Any help will be high appreciated!

Max
Ukraine, Kharkov.
1. IS there an auto parts store that sells foreign auto parts? If so it has standard Chevrolet parts. If you cannot rebuild the injection pump then most diesel mechanics should be able to help you.

2. Fuel pump and glow plugs you can change yourself. Fuel Pump http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/57964-fuel-pump-replacement.html
Glow plugs are taken out just like a spark plug however if swollen may not pop out easily. Either pry it carefully do not break it or I have just turned the engine over and it popped out.

2.1 NO that is what the mechanical fuel pump on the passenger side of the engine it for. You can replace it with a electrical in fuel line pump.

3. Glow plugs heats the cylinders to help the diesel ignite when it is cold. Usually needs to turned on for 20-25 seconds in cold weather to start the vehicle shorter time in warm weather or if engine is warm already. You have 8 of them on the vehicle. Turn it off once vehicle is started. You can use a electrical multimeter to check them unhook the wire that goes to one of them and touch one probe to the connector on the plug and one to ground. You should get a reading of about 3 ohms.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Y1XGcjlL0[/media]

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

"1. IS there an auto parts store that sells foreign auto parts? If so it has standard Chevrolet parts."

Sorry to have to tell you, but the world out there is not like America. You did notice his location was Kharkov, Ukraine? There are probably a number of newish American SUV's there, but nothing older and no parts availability. He's best off self-importing the parts. You'd have better luck going to your local parts store and asking for Trabant parts. Try it and see the look of bewilderment you get. Thats what this member is facing.

stranger75

Hasdrubal is correct about the difficulty one would have in sourcing 25+ year old GM parts in Ukraine. I have had the pleasure of working in eastern Europe many times and experienced vehement frustration in sourcing things we find common in the U.S.
Take his advice and look online for a reasonably priced european distributor (1350 euros for an IP?!), or pay the shipping to get what you need from the U.S.

The TM's can be dry and difficult to navigate for those of us who speak english as our first and/ or only language. The search function on this site can easily bridge the gap between your questions and the answers you need. Many people have highlighted, copied, and posted pertinent portions of the manuals within this site.

Try the stickies at the top of the CUCV forum. There is one called GP theory of operation that explains what the glow plugs do.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62477-gp-module-theory-operation.html

Also within the "FAQ thread for CUCV's" there is a "glovebox manual" that contains most of the basic information you'll need to diagnose and fix the most common issues. In that portion there is a clearly written procedure for testing your glow plugs, glow plug wires, and glow plug controller card. You may have to modify said information due to the fact that your truck has a manual GP switch installed.

"TROUBLESHOOTING:
Glow Plugs

Tools Required
Multi-Meter / test-light
Glow Plug Socket
3' piece of wire, with ends stripped
1. Remove a wire from a glow plug. Have a helper turn on the key, and check for voltage between the glow plug wire and ground.
o If voltage present, use a test light and hook the end to the tip of the glow plug while its still in the engine. With the other end of the test light, touch positive. If test light lights up the glow plug is good. Do this for each 8 glow plugs.
o If no voltage continue
2. Locate Glow Plug Relay on firewall to the left of the master Cylinder.
1. check for voltage on the Left large terminal.
§ If voltage present, have helper turn on key, do you hear a clunk from the relay?
§ If no, take your piece of wire, hold one end on a good ground, and touch the other end to the small terminal with the BLUE wire.
§ If you still dont hear the relay clunk, replace it.
§ If you do hear the clunk, your controller card is bad. Replace it, or install the 'manual glow plug' setup.
§ If voltage not present, check for voltage on the left side of the resistor bank (behind air cleaner on firewall)
§ If no voltage, check wire feeding resistors to ensure it is properly connected to the TOP busbar on the firewall
§ If voltage present, verify wire between resistor and relay. if wire is good, replace resistor, or do the 12v resistor bypass."

Last edited:

tbearatkin

"1. IS there an auto parts store that sells foreign auto parts? If so it has standard Chevrolet parts."

Sorry to have to tell you, but the world out there is not like America. You did notice his location was Kharkov, Ukraine? There are probably a number of newish American SUV's there, but nothing older and no parts availability. He's best off self-importing the parts. You'd have better luck going to your local parts store and asking for Trabant parts. Try it and see the look of bewilderment you get. Thats what this member is facing.
Yes I knew where he was located and have been to former eastern block countries although it was back in 1994. (Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania, Belarus) Times change and at that time they were bringing in Suburban's and selling them. So thought maybe there was a foreign auto parts store to check.