• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel issue...

abh3

Experienced a no-start Friday with what had been a running truck, just no fuel to injectors. Fuel is getting to the IP, taking the plug out of the top of the IP head and running elec. pump makes plenty. There is not much at the injectors when cranking and without much pressure, certainly not like when bleeding other diesels... The fuel was very nasty when I brought it home, dead and 'shellac-y' but I'd added some off-road diesel and it was doing fine though my plans are to clean out the tank, change filters etc. The plunger in the center of the head moves but not much and I can't seem to open TM 9-2910-226-34 here so I haven't tried to pull the head since I don't know what I'm getting into. Any ideas? Plunger thingy not moving enough? What marks do I need to line up, any tricks to pull the IP head? Just try to clean it and free things up? Thanks!

Wolf.Dose

First you have to clean the Diesel system very well. Remove anything that might be debris in the fuel system! Second: If the loading pressure is not in the specified level fireing will be poor or the engine will not start. The problem is usualy based on a worn out charging pump, if you have a Cummings engine.
On the LDT engines the injection pump might be over its wear limits. So you need a better one.
Cleanes on the job has the highest priority! Any dirt is no good for any Diesel system!
Wolf

abh3

It's a multifuel, the truck has chalk writing all over it indicating it's flaws, one line saying 'new engine w/ oil leak' and I have no reason to doubt it from the looks of the engine vs. the rest of the engine compartment... How much should the plunger in the IP head move? Will some measurement here indicate if there is a problem, bottom has fallen off or it's just sticky? What is the trick to opening the TMs, that's my main problem I guess, I'm reluctant to just start tearing in down, other posts make reference to marks to line up, etc... I've got engines to rob an IP head off of, if the bottom of the plunger has fallen off is that terminal? I understand cleanliness and diesel fuel systems. Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right click on the TM and save it to your own computer. That's the best way.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The bottom falling off is a referance to the intank pump. When the "bottom falls off" it will no longer pump fuel to the booster pump in the IP. It gets 5psi from the intank pump, then jumps to near 60 at the IP

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, it was actually referencing the "keepers" on the HH center rod that rides on the IP cam.

But, the intank pump bottom plate is another issue to look at, as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks