• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel issues, need injector pump rebuilt......?

eric_banks32

I'm having some issues with my truck. If i drive my truck at a sustained speed over 45 or so it seems like its running out of fuel. It will kind of stumble and then catch itself and continue to do this until I slow down. I replaced the fuel filter, checked for bad/worn lines, and put a new lift pump on it. It does it regardless of fuel tank level so its not the pick up. I pulled the return fitting of the top of the injector pump and it seemed to be stuck, so I played with it and got it to release and cleaned it the best I could. That made me think maybe it was getting to much fuel? Seems odd to say for a diesel. So now I think i'm looking at having the pump rebuild.

Any other ideas?

Is there anyone that you guys recommend to do this? Maybe someone near St. Louis that I could take the pump to. I really don't want to mess with the ebay crowd. Thanks

eric_banks32

Are you getting an odd exhaust note when it's stumbling? My truck has been doing the same kinda thing for a while.
Not that I can recall. Its been a while since I last drove it though. When it does stumble I notice a puff of black smoke though. I don't know if its overfueling causing the hiccup or if the pump catching back up is causing the smoke.... either way it sucks. I have to get it figured out before the bad weather hits. The firebird isn't going to be fun in the snow if I don't....

notsosanestan

Are you getting an odd exhaust note when it's stumbling? My truck has been doing the same kinda thing for a while.
mine does the same thing and idles really rough. its seems to have how much power id expect so i think im going to get new injectors and check the compression before i get a new pump.

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
I have CUCV and Humvee pumps available! 50ea CUCV 75ea Humvee! There is a difference in the settings done on the pump.

A lil FYI a DB2 is capable of providing up to 40hp per cylinder. Turning the fuel screw up is not the right answer, its setting the pump up for the application and intended use. ( you wont get 40hp/cyl turning up a screw ) Despite popular belief![thumbzup]

12vctd

SO then wheres all the 320 hp 6.2 motors lol. Im by far no expert but the only ratings for any injection pump would be fuel flow, its up to the motor to turn this fuel into power!!! I have seen the ratings you speak of but this would be for the DB4 pumps used on offroad machines, ie this website. Mechanical Pumps - Stanadyne

b4thundr

I have CUCV and Humvee pumps available! 50ea CUCV 75ea Humvee! There is a difference in the settings done on the pump.

A lil FYI a DB2 is capable of providing up to 40hp per cylinder. Turning the fuel screw up is not the right answer, its setting the pump up for the application and intended use. ( you wont get 40hp/cyl turning up a screw ) Despite popular belief![thumbzup]
very true turning the screw up alone is not the answer the whole pump must be set for the increase of fuel, also if you go to far with the screw bye bye pump.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/56488-injection-pump-rebuild-some-pics.html

Alredneck

Banned
SO then wheres all the 320 hp 6.2 motors lol. Im by far no expert but the only ratings for any injection pump would be fuel flow, its up to the motor to turn this fuel into power!!! I have seen the ratings you speak of but this would be for the DB4 pumps used on offroad machines, ie this website. Mechanical Pumps - Stanadyne

THeres advantages and disadvantages to the DB4 pumps as well. I was refering to the info I found for a built DB2 pump. Also Like I said before it also depends on application, marine pumps are not exactly the same as vehicle, govenors are different even for genset apps. Lots of pieces to make the pie!

320hp can be done in a 6.2 but the cost would not be practical I suspect. Theres a company that builds 280hp turboed versions but way to exspensive for my blood. Later 6.2 blocks are better than the earlier models. Do the research. There is wealth of info out there. Dont just rely on, what I heard from a buddy or just on internet article. Lots of good info out there! I see if I bookmarked some links to share with the group.