• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel pod, 600 gallon

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered a replacement manhole cover lid for my Highlands model TRL2000 600 gallon fuel pod. I have a type 1 manhole cover on it now, but the lock casting is broken and it can't be locked. The type 2 cover has the lock through two stainless steel plates instead of the aluminum casting.

Type 1 part number is FX1097SA
Type 2 part number is 887-L-541 - I'm upgrading to this type
Available from Clay & Bailey Mfg.
Kansas City, MO
phone 800-821-6583

If you have one, it's probably a good idea to replace the gasket on the emergency flush valve - the original is cork/buna-N (but is probably just cork left and it will leak. I'm replacing mine with a Viton gasket, inside dia 6 inches, outside dia 7.25 inches, 1/8 thick. The six bolts are 1/2 inch, so for an easy fit the gasket holes should be 9/16 according to my gasket man.

The TM is - TM 10-4930-220-13&P if you didn't know already.

3dAngus

Good advice Mike.

I would hate to leak $2400 worth or diesel.

I would recommend, if available, you post a source for the gasket for the emergency flush valve for historical sake. I've been looking at those 600 gallon tanks, and might just end up with one.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dell,

One of the local club members made my gasket, but the part number is in the TM. Just be aware the OEM gasket is cork, and mine is made of Viton rubber. That's why I gave the size so others would know how much to purchase. It's 13217E7084, by cage code 97403, and looking at the ALI Partsmaster site, I find:

NSN: 5330-01-015-4753
GASKET
Part No: 13217E7084
Price Range: $1.84 to $2.48
Delivery Range: 50 to 122 days
Mfr/OEM/Agencies: CECOM LR CENTER
Suppliers: R WAY GASKET & SUPPLY COMPANY INC

Name Status
MANUFACTURERS GASKET CO THE A
ACE RUBBER PRODUCTS INC A
STAFF GASKET MFG. E
DARCO SOUTHERN INC. A
EVERLAST SEALS AND SUPPLY LLC A
MO ARK MACHINE GOVERNMENT SALES INC P
R WAY GASKET & SUPPLY COMPANY INC A
BASIC RUBBER AND PLASTICS CO. A
CECOM LR CENTER A

Attachments

Bill W

You can't beat viton but Nitrile ( aka Buna -N ) will work also. I plan on removing and capping off my bottom drain valve and will be making the cap off gasket out of 1/8"nitrile and if I get enough ambition I plan on coating the inside bottom third of the tank with "Steel Flex" epoxy coating ( made by Fasco )

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill,

You have the Model 1 manhole cover, that's the type I'm replacing. There is a cap for the bottom drain valve that you could just put on. BTW, look in the TM, because that drain valve assembly will not come out until you disconnect it from the connector rod in the tank, and it's difficult to get enough slack out until you take off the top handle. Tap out the roll pin till it is clear of the block in the middle, then use an allen wrench to loosen the screw on the side, then the block will unscrew from the rod and can drop through, then the drain assembly will come out. If you are going to cap the bottom, you will need to cap the top too. The small valve should be kept, as it is the water drain - try not to plug it either when you use your epoxy. HTH

Bill W

Thanks SCSG
I would probably leave the drain valve on IF I could find a cap., I did try a 2" OPW camlock cap but it just doesn't clamp down correctly, any ideas where to find the correct one.

Last edited:

SouthwestUSA

I'm lucky my gaskets are good and I'm in a mad rush to finish a 12 volt pump so I can buy off-road diesel before Iran or Israel heats up and the price goes ballistic... I might just fill the tank tomorrow and worry about the pump and all later. She holds fuel tight. If she drips, that liquid gold will be captured by all the 6 gallon cans Walmart has within a 100 mile range.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prolly right WM, anyhoo this man has problems getting more than an arm and shoulder through the opening with the hatch completely off! They musta made folks smaller back then!

Bill W

I have 2, 2" camlocks, ( i corrected my post about it being 1 1/2" ) one plastic and one aluminum and neither one fits on the valve correctly but their not OPW made quality.
I'm 6" 170lbs and can get in the tank but than again I made my living for 27 years climbing in/out of fuel tanks to clean them ( only got stuck once )

jafco77

I have 3 of the Highland Ind. 600 gallon tanks and 2 500 gallon Betas (I think). I bought the 600's at an auction and someone took the manholes off and replaced with homemade lids that are not fuel compatable. I would love to trade one tank for a complete manhole cover assy.
If you know someone interested in a swap please email me.
ahhuey@msn.com

jmenende

Just ordered a replacement manhole cover lid for my Highlands model TRL2000 600 gallon fuel pod. I have a type 1 manhole cover on it now, but the lock casting is broken and it can't be locked. The type 2 cover has the lock through two stainless steel plates instead of the aluminum casting.

Type 1 part number is FX1097SA
Type 2 part number is 887-L-541 - I'm upgrading to this type
Available from Clay & Bailey Mfg.
Kansas City, MO
phone 800-821-6583

If you have one, it's probably a good idea to replace the gasket on the emergency flush valve - the original is cork/buna-N (but is probably just cork left and it will leak. I'm replacing mine with a Viton gasket, inside dia 6 inches, outside dia 7.25 inches, 1/8 thick. The six bolts are 1/2 inch, so for an easy fit the gasket holes should be 9/16 according to my gasket man.

The TM is - TM 10-4930-220-13&P if you didn't know already.
Howdy. I just wanted to know if clay and bailey were able to supply all gaskets? I just got one of these tanks and need the manhole gasket and the bottom drain gasket since my cork was bad. Im thinking of just bolting on a lid on the bottom and be done with that contraption. There is a 1" drain behind it i can just add a ball valve to drain the water. Any thoughts?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy. I just wanted to know if clay and bailey were able to supply all gaskets? I just got one of these tanks and need the manhole gasket and the bottom drain gasket since my cork was bad. Im thinking of just bolting on a lid on the bottom and be done with that contraption. There is a 1" drain behind it i can just add a ball valve to drain the water. Any thoughts?
I posted an address and phone number in the first entry of this thread. Contact them direct. This thread is nine years old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks