• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel problem M52A2

battlecr

Hey Guys I need some advice. My M52A2 was running fine then about a week ago it I was really hard starting. But once it fired it ran fine. Anyway long story short, I parked it then went to start it yesterday and it turns over fine it just won't start. I checked to make sure the fuel stop was all the way in. I drained the fuel filters to check for water. I bled the filters. filled them up. I broke the return line and checked to make sure I had fuel all the way through the system. When I crack njectors I get no fuel So I I've run out of ideas. Any help would appricated. Don G

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI Don try checking the fuse on top of the pump in tank,if it blowes trk will not get fuel .

The 2nd poss thing is there are shims around the impeller on the bttm of the pump some times they can fall out.

This will not let the pump prime it self,so if fuse is ok this may be a cause too any leak will too system will suck air.

Steve

Last edited:

battlecr

Fuel Problem M52A2

Hey I could use some help. My 5 ton was a little hard to start a couple weeks a go. I drove it round and it ran fine so I parked it. Went out to start it Saturday and no start. It cranks over fine. So I checked the fuel stop and it appears to be retracting fine. I checked the fuel filters, bled them. Cracked the return line and turned on the master switch. The in tank fuel pump is working and I got fuel out of the return line. So I cranked the engine over and cracked a couple of injector lines, got nothing. No fuel at all. So am I missing something? Also the fuel line is connected directly to the injection pump head from the filter. There are 2 fittings on the rear of the injection pump with a line looped back on it between the 2 fittings. I assume the that is the fuel compensator? The company that had the truck before me must of bypassed that. (I'm just guessing here) Anyway I've exhausted my knowledge. So HELP! Don G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don, that looped part is the bypass of the fuel density compensator. That is a good thing to have, as the FDC is known for leaking fuel into the crankcase oil. I bet its your fuel shut-off valve sticking shut, thats keeping your truck from starting. You said its retracting ok, but thats not the whole picture.

You'll need to remove the two screws(or bolts) that holds that cover on. Under there is a black lever that needs to move freely. It should be in the 7 O'clock position to start and should swing toward the firewall to shut down. if you push it toward the firewall and it does not spring back, it needs freed up.

Let us know what you find.

vtdeucedriver

Have you tried starting it with a little throttle input?
Sounds like either your shut off lever is stuck or the retaining clip has come off on the Ip head piston.

battlecr

Thanks for the replies, I'll check those items and let you know. I have one question do I have to worry about timing when I remove that cover?

Also I apologize for the cross post, I was up very late when I wrote the first one and was kind of nodding off. I didn't realise I had already posted. Mia copa:oops:

gimpyrobb

Nope, no timing to worry about. It is just a cover, and a lever under it.

Edit, let me see if I have a pic...not a great one, but a pic none the less.

Attachments

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

This reminds me that I should start my M-54A2 and run it for a bit. I just did all of this just last year to that one. Found that the retaining clip had come off on the IPH.

gimpyrobb

Thanks James!

That black lever in the pic above is what should move freely. At rest it should be in the 7 o'clock position(so the motor runs), and with it toward the firewall, it should stop fuel.

I am betting that it is stuck in the 5 or 6 o'clock position, not allowing fuel to the IP.

battlecr

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You hit it right on the money. Pulled the cover plate and the lever was at about 5 oclock. Got it freed up and put the cover back on. She lit right off and ran. Back moving again. Thanks for everyone for chiming in. Thanks again Don

battlecr

Well still been having trouble with the truck not starting. Did find the clip on the linkage rod was missing. Is this an e-clip? Anyway got a temporary fix for now. Don G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks