• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel strainer question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found on the XM757, this fuel strainer takes the place of the primary fuel filter.
Does anybody know if it's good for life or if it has a replacable element of some kind? Don't want to take it apart if not needed.
The handle turns and the drain works. As with the other fuel filters on this truck, it's not hooked up.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, If that's on the suction side,I think i've seen these b-4 on older IHCs. If I remember right, it has a very fine screen inside, 2 pcs and one of them turns inside or around the other. An o-ring seals the can and some had rebuildable valves where the handle is.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Will, it's on the "sucktion" side, the in-tank fuel pump actually supplies the fuel to IP via this strainer.
Because it is manually operated from time to time, I assumed that there are no parts that need to be replaced.
Like some primary filter elements for the deuce, which are cleanable except here it doesn't have to be opened.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the insides has real fine disks sandwiched together, one set is fixed, the other set rotates with the handle. the rotating disks fit tightly between the fixed ones so as you turn the handle the disk rotates and and cleans the crap off which settles to the bottom of the can. thats how its supposed work in theroy. first if these filters have been sitting for a bit the disks start to rot and the whole thing turns into one peice, second the filter is ment to be cleaned at least once a day, after a few days of not cleaning everything sticks and the disks start to rip apon rotation, third any big grit that gets in will rip the disk as soon as you turn to clean. also it does not rotate easily at the best of times , theres more but you see my point.
i have seen this kind of filter on a lot of older equipment and trucks, works good if taken care of, needs a major prefilter before it to avoid trouble, also thay are a major PITA to take apart to rebuild, seems like you will never get the disks together as that should be long enough to tighten everything down. most of the ones ive seen in the last 20 years are nothing but a gutted or partial gutted can because the dsks turned to shit, once the disks start to rip its worthles as a filter, about the only good it is then is to use it as a crap prefilter

Jones

Bjorn; if it's like the filter on our old Detroit, the insides look like alternating, flattened, inside and outside star washers (one disc has fingers pointing out and the next has fingers pointing in and so on) made of brass and about .015" thickness. Discs are spring loaded so as to keep tension on them. All fitting into a barely slip fit housing. I think they're assembled in a fixture of some kind so if something possesses you to take the assembly apart, figure on a session of hair pulling trying to get all of them realigned. Oh yeah, and I think there's about 200 of 'em in there.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yep, thats it, just handling the disks can bend or crease them, rotted disks may even come aparted (storta just disapear), once the brass starts to rot the disks may look fine when you take it apart, when you go to put it together thay will come apart in your hand, or WORSE after you have most of it together some of the first ones will rip, bend, or just starts to come apart in your hand from handling (this is when it gets thrown against the wall and your volcabulary is reduced to a few BASIC words)

one more thing water is not a friend to this filter, it will really gum it up bad, which means fuel stops flowing, disks rip, ect. and has to be taken apart to ungum, no matter what the military saids ,i would not use this filter in a deep water fording operation
im guessing the military reason for this filter was that no more filters would be needed ever, just turn the handle forever

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the design goals for this 8x8 was to reduce maintenance, brakes drums "sealed for life", no brake fluid to change, 100% air brakes, ball joints "lubed for life" using Delrin and fabric soaked with lubricant, etc. Life expectance was 20 years. Guess primary filter woudn't have to be changed either. Of course, now 37 years later....

rmgill

IT seems like a civilian or standard M35A2 type fuel filters would make more sense from both a standard parts standpoint and from a utility standpoint. It doesn't sound like that other filter system was such a good thing.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ya but the gov. paid a LOT of money for that filter, Rayn how could you say such a thing

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I have already decided to install my extra M35 primary fuel canister in its place. Questions regarding the fuel strainer are academic at this point, but thanks for the inputs!

About the secondary and final filters, I like them, they are both servicable from above. Just take the cover off and drop the new element in. Filter elements are the same as for the deuce. I'll get pictures when it stops raining here.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use these filters at work, called cuno or kuno filters. They are always on the suction side of a lube or hydraulic pump. As stated, stacked discs inside. Usually a cork gasket on top. In theory, you can rotate the handle and remove the plug on the bottom of the filter, and the crap falls out the bottom. Sometimes they haven't been drained in a while and have to be taken apart. I regularly take these apart at work, just spray with a good solvent and turn the handle gets them clean. The ones I am used to you can take apart without the disks coming apart. Haven't seen any of them falling apart inside, and most of the tanks they are on are 50 years old. We don't get water problems, so maybe the water is why other people have had problems with them. Personal opinion is they are a good design.

Dennis

Last edited: