• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel system issues

Northwoodsguy

Not long ago, I purchased a pristine M37B1 that had been stored indoors since 1988 with the exception of an occasional drive in the country. The problem was, it was allowed to sit for long periods of time with Ethanol gas in the lines and the previous owner was unaware of the affects it has on old fuel lines that are not resistant to Ethanol. In removing the access plate to the fuel tank we discovered pieces of gaskets and hose material floating around. I had to replace all the lines, clean the fuel tank (which otherwise looked like new inside), new fuel filter and installed a fuel pump and carburetor kit for good measure. Also had an issue with the fuel filter being too close to the exhaust manifold causing a vapor lock problem when it got really hot and idled for a few minutes.
I missed two parades, disappointed a bunch of VFW guys and spent some money getting past these issues. So beware the vehicle that has low mileage and been sitting around while Ethanol is eating away at the fuel lines. The person I bought the vehicle from took pride in its condition but was clueless abut what ethanol and unleaded gas do to a 52 year old fuel system.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a very nice condition USMC truck.

Are you going to put any of the markings / stencils on the truck?

tstone

Ethanol not only degrades steel and aluminum but reduces fuel efficiency by at least 10%. For all of my small engines I use ethanol free fuel or treat my fuel to eliminate the ethanol.

Northwoodsguy

M37B1 fuel issue

Looks like a very nice condition USMC truck.

Are you going to put any of the markings / stencils on the truck?
Yes, the hood and doors were sanded to see if I could make out the original markings. Was able to make out what looked like 1st battalion, 2nd Marines markings on door and some of the hood numbers. Runs perfect now.....finally!
20150625_151624.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks