• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank selector valve - multiple tanks

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've read my other threads and shake your head at my ideas, you're gonna wanna skip this one. What follows may show my ignorance.

So, my plan is to add 3 additional tanks to my truck. Initially, the plan was 2 additional tanks, but the third tank was gonna be pretty difficult to work with so I changed it to 2 smaller tanks for ease of installation. So, I will have one tank on each side of the truck. Then 2 additional tanks that ride on the bed in what will be a sub-floor of my camper.

Why do I want so much fuel? It's all part of the idea of going out of contact. The way I see it, I can use solar panels or wind to generate electricity, can carry lots of rations & water, and can even use an atmospheric water generator to create water, but fuel is one thing that limits how far I can go and for how long. Multiple tanks give me a safety margin and even from an economic point of view, if I find a good price on diesel I can stock up.

Ideally, I'd like to treat each tank separately.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a manifold or selector valve that would work for 4 tanks? At this point, the most I've seen is dual tank selectors, and I suppose I could daisy chain these together, is that how it's done or is there another choice?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They make a valve that uses return fuel pressure to push the fuel from another tank to the suction tank.

Some have the bottom. Of the tanks with a level line across.

I have transfer pump that is a vane type so they are dependable. It pumps fuel from passengers side to drivers side but it also goes thru a 10micron filter so the 2 engine filters don't have to catch any large particles that got transferred.

My 3rd tank was slightly above my passengers tank and had a a hand valve on it so it was a sole gravity feed when I needed it. You could also use any type of electric on/off valve to activate it from the cab. I prefer a transfer pump cause if I turn it on and I don't see the gauge move shortly then I know I have an issue and I can plan accordingly getting fuel. Over a selector valve that may not work or switch back. The Carter HD4603P pump is rated for diesel and oil.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted a company that does custom valves that they have a solution for me. My plan is for each tank to maintain a separate line. The plan is to install a lift pump after the valve before the IP pump so whichever tank is active will be pulled by the pump.

As to cost, it's $650 for the valve and $515 for the actuator. I found some 3 way marine valves that cost more, so I'm rather pleased about the cost.

I still need to confirm all my measurements, so I haven't ordered yet, but this looks promising.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I would update this thread.

Had custom tanks made for the bed.

After talking it over with a friend, decided to connect these tanks to the outside tanks with one-way valves & pumps for filling purposes only. These tanks will ride in the bed and be completely hidden. The point being, should my exterior tanks get siphoned I will still have fuel as well as extending my range. They will also be wrapped with 1/2" ballistic fiberglass just because.
Total cost of the 2 tanks, with shipping: $1900. Had I gotten them last year before the inflation changes, it would've been closer to $1600, but what can you do. KSH Marine was the only fuel tank manufacturer I could find that would do a 7" high tank. Everyone else I spoke to could only go as low as 9", unless I wanted to go with a custom welder, but my costs would've have about tripled.

Tanks arrived the other day.

Also ordered an Allen Bradley 800T-N2KF4B 4 way switch for the dash.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddJK

I think having the extra tanks to carry more fuel is a good idea. Yeah it's nice to be able to turn a valve or flip a switch and keep going, for me, I just carried wmo mixed with gas in some drums with a hand pump and/air transfer pump, fuel was already filtered as I use specific drums only for filtered wmo. I can understand, something like a M109 or with a camper/overland type of vehicle, fuel drums is probably not something you want in the back where you'd sleep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks