• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel tanks

jesusgatos

I'm reconfiguring the way that everything is carried under the cab on Mah Deuce, and one of the things I'm trying to do is improve the ground clearance. With such a long wheelbase, I'm concerned about hitting/dragging/smashing the toolbox, battery box, and fuel tanks. I'm already planning on replacing the steps with some tubular rock sliders, which will also extend further towards the back to protect the fuel tanks. But if the fuel tanks were about 5" shorter, so they didn't extend forward under the cab, I'd be able to raise the tanks up about 5-6" without any problems. That might not sound like it's worth the trouble, but I think that would be a significant improvement.

So I'd like to find some new fuel tanks that are about the same height (15-16") and width (21-22"), but somewhere between 32-34" long (for reference, the stock tanks are about 39.5" long).

I wouldn't be opposed to using fuel tanks from non-military applications either, but where should I be looking? Did some google searches and didn't turn up anything. Wrecking yards is one obvious place to check, and I've started checking to see if I can find any within a reasonable driving distance.

I would also consider shortening the stock tanks if that could be done in a manner that would be safe. Any suggestions?

srodocker

didnt you buy a cpl tanks from brads? im thinking when i add 395's im going to remove the spare tire carrier and add another fuel tank but to be a hidden tool box :)

wikallen

A master fabricator could cut then end off your tank, then reweld it to the length you need.

jesusgatos

Yeah, that's a thought. Looking at the tank though, the ends appear to be crimped together. Seems like it would be a bad idea to cut that off and try to weld a new end into place. Might be better to cut a section out of the middle somewhere in between the baffles/ribs, and then weld (glue?) the two halves back together. I dunno...

jesusgatos

Thanks for the suggestions WM. You know what would be great, is if we could get everyone to take some basic measurements of whatever tanks they've got access to. Create sort of an index of fuel tanks with dimensions, and pics if possible (showing fill locations, pickups, mounts, etc.).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were wanting to do what you wanted I'd just get some 16ga sheet and build a new tank. Or if you really wanted to get fancy, some .100" AL. That way you could make a tank to the exact dimensions you want rather than trying to make something else work.

Another problem you might get into moving the stock tank up is access to the filler.

jesusgatos

I've thought about that, and building custom tanks would allow me to make the most of the space that's available. I could design/build some VERY cool tanks, but I simply can't afford to build them right now. Too much money going into other areas of this project. If I need to, I'll just use the stock tanks for now and re-visit this after I've worked through all the things that are higher-up on my priority list. But if I can find something that's readily available, and 'close enough' that would be great.

mikew

How about moving the air tanks and doing a "between the frame rails" style tank? The frame width on the deuce is a common one and there should be a number of tanks that would fit. You could even put the tank, or a second one, behind the rear axles.

jesusgatos

I've already removed the stock air tanks, and I've collected a bunch more of them. I'm actually going to use them to store a few different types of fluids (gas, diesel, hydraulic fluid, etc.) and I'm going to use air pressure to move the fluids. I just picked up the material I needed to make the mounts, and I'll post some pictures after I get them all made and installed.

EDIT: I know that's not exactly what you were suggesting, but I was trying to say that I'm already doing everything I can to maximize storage under the box/bed and between the framerails.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks