• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full air brakes on a deuce

tm america

hmm interesting idea.seems like alot of work probably be better to just get a 5ton.since you will need a cdl to drive it either way cuz of the air brakes:roll:

Nonotagain

hmm interesting idea.seems like alot of work probably be better to just get a 5ton.since you will need a cdl to drive it either way cuz of the air brakes:roll:
In most states you aren't required to have a CDL until the gross vehicle weight exceeds 26,001 pounds. A class B license is required if the GVW of the vehicle exceeds 26,001 lbs.

Can't speak for all states, but air brakes aren't an automatic qualifier for CDL.

I gave up my CDL a few years back but still have a class A "non commercial" license.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago Memphis offered air brakes for deuces. Wouldn't it be a hoot to find a junk yard truck with them?

wehring

yup

Not a lot of work. It is one of my bobbers so the axle swap is minimal effort.

What is the motivation... 5.83 gears, factory air lockers and good brakes.

The reality of a truly streetable deuce is getting closer.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't they still sell them for the 800 series 5 tons? I think they are just over 3K.

tm america

i wonder if disk brakes with a split brake system would be better for the deuce than running five ton being that you loose some gear ratio to with the five ton axles.if you can get the 5 ton axles cheap and it doesnt force you into cdl in your state i say go for it .you will have to rework the air lines and brake actuator setup to

tm america

dont 5 ton axles have 6.44 or 6.14 ratios and a bobber is alot different than a deuce and should be noted so we all know what we are talking about

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
anybody know what the deuce axles were used in BESIDES the deuce back in the 50 and 60s, i would guess medium duty dump trucks for one, if we can find the other uses, might be able to source the air brake set up

wehring

caught it huh...

Hehehe.... thought that would kick up some interest. There are commercial 44K toploaders that used the 5.81 ( I was wrong about 5.83) ratio. Drop in conversion.

Unfortunately I can not claim fame to this knowledge. Adam from adamsoffroad deserves the credit. He is a 5 ton axle guru... lots to teach.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
anybody know what the deuce axles were used in BESIDES the deuce back in the 50 and 60s, i would guess medium duty dump trucks for one, if we can find the other uses, might be able to source the air brake set up
V-100s had deuce axles!