• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fusible link size for GP relay when using 12v bypass

HelluvaEngineer

Hi all. I promise I read the FAQs and looked at the TM diagram. I'm confused about which size fusible link to use when jumping from the 12v block directly to the new Glow Plug relay that I am also installing. The old wires are brittle and I'd rather put something new in.

So it looks like the original is a 12ga wire calling for a 16ga fusible link. But some people reuse the old link. That's marked 3.0mm on mine, which I think is a 14ga fusible link. It's blue. But, that came before the resistor pack, which obviously adds a significant load on the first wire and the fusible link, which makes sense because the wire from the resistor pack looks smaller.

Any issues using a new 12ga wire and 16ga fusible link from the 12v takeoff to the new relay? Thanks.

MarcusOReallyus

The current draw on the GPs is about 100 amps, as measured by antennaclimber a while back. I don't think a 16 ga link is going to handle that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

HelluvaEngineer

IIRC, I made a new short wire with 8ga wire. I just removed and taped over the 24v ring terminal, in case I needed to slave start with a completely dead front battery(never has happened).

This picture from the helpful threads seems pretty clear what the writer of that thread did(used).

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=482495&d=1317173992
Thanks, I ended up doing something similar, although I put the fusible link first. Should be fine I suppose. I'll rethink it if I run some bigger wire from the battery.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

HelluvaEngineer

Seems to work fine. I tried one of these snowplow relays. It seems to work well, although it's almost silent. The truck starts well after the plugs cycle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks