• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 identification

fiddleman

I got this old chevy out of a junk yard. I am trying to determine the factory model designation of this truck. the plate above the windshield indicates a shipping date of 1-10-41. and the second and third digits in the vin are YP. It has a winch and dump body. it has an original dump bed, but i'm not 100 per cent sure it was on this truck when it rolled off the line, because there is no separate lever on the floor to control the hoist, but instead a pto cable mounted through the dash. also the control lever instruction plate above the windshield doesn't show a dump control lever. Regardless, after some looking on the web, a "book symbol " NL designates a model G7116 which was a" dump with winch." Does anyone know what "YP" stood for? The closest thing i saw was a "ZP" which designates a model G4163 which was a "truck cargo with winch ." So - my question is - what model designation does "YP" stand for? Thanks .

WW2Chevy

The Y model trucks (YP and YQ) were earliest. The YP and YQ simply indicated wheelbase. YP is standard, YQ is long. They had a number of characteristics they shared with civilan trucks, that were changed with the later trucks. these included park brakes on the rear axle, battery under the passenger floor board and civilian style rectangular gauges. Z model trucks came next, and again the ZP and ZQ just indicated wheelbase and not function. It was really with the introduction of the N model trucks that they started indicating truck model and not wheelbase. There were several months (3-4??) where Chevrolet was actually producing all three styles (Y, Z and N). I have a model NM cargo with winch truck. (note there is a column showing "Book model", and another showing "Serial prefix".

Attachments

fiddleman

The Y model trucks (YP and YQ) were earliest. The YP and YQ simply indicated wheelbase. YP is standard, YQ is long. They had a number of characteristics they shared with civilan trucks, that were changed with the later trucks. these included park brakes on the rear axle, battery under the passenger floor board and civilian style rectangular gauges. Z model trucks came next, and again the ZP and ZQ just indicated wheelbase and not function. It was really with the introduction of the N model trucks that they started indicating truck model and not wheelbase. There were several months (3-4??) where Chevrolet was actually producing all three styles (Y, Z and N). I have a model NM cargo with winch truck. (note there is a column showing "Book model", and another showing "Serial prefix".
Thanks a lot. You answered my questions. I am also going through the process of getting a title. That's why I needed this info.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Hi, I too have a G506. The best thing I did was getting a copy of David Doyle’s book “Chevrolet G506”. It has a large, okay huge, amount of information on these trucks. My truck is a fire truck, which was called a “class 325”. Please take lots of photos! I’ve been reworking mine back to its original configuration. Not sure exactly how to find my posts on it but try the search function and add jeffhuey1n.

Attachments

fiddleman

Welcome! Hi, I too have a G506. The best thing I did was getting a copy of David Doyle’s book “Chevrolet G506”. It has a large, okay huge, amount of information on these trucks. My truck is a fire truck, which was called a “class 325”. Please take lots of photos! I’ve been reworking mine back to its original configuration. Not sure exactly how to find my posts on it but try the search function and add jeffhuey1n.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks