• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat taillights

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here upgraded to Gama Goat taillights for safety reasons, over the standard blackout light style lights? Just wanna see pics of the completed conversions, and hear the reasons why folks did that mod.

Do you really think it's worth the extra $$$ to change to the Gama Goat taillights, or the newer LED lights?

CGarbee

I run them on my M37, M38, M101, M416, and flatbeds...
I most likely will install them on the XM708 although I will keep the stock lenses around for shows...
I have LED elements in all the lights (use the versions that are direct replacements for incandescent bulbs...

Photos of my stuff are all over my website. In particular, you might want to look at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/december/M101/m101paint5.jpg
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/m38pages/m38photos/markings/mark6.jpg

Well worth the cost and effort to go with the full red lens. I don't have any decent nightime photos to show the comparison between what I did have, but I can say that followign a M38 with stock lights versus following one with M561 lights is a huge difference at night...

BillIdaho

Uhhh, I thought just about all Gama-Goats had the full red lenses, sometimes referred to as "Nato" lights?They are about 4 inches around, with a diffused effect in the glass to spread out the light from the bulb. I looked at a bunch of pics and I can't remember seeing anything but the Nato lights. (Not to be confused with the newer style taillights, such as on my M151A2)

BillIdaho

I do this every time. After I post something, I have to post again to clarify what I said the first time....age, the final frontier. Anyway, Most Goats had the old style tail-lights with the small rectangular glass lenses, about one half inch tall and a longer one with a shorter one above (or maybe the other way around). Then above those were the infamous Nato lights I just spoke of. At night, with the Nato lights on....they are as bright as cars on the road.

mdainsd

Using the "nato" full red lights requires the specific housing to go a long with it. If you put the full red lens on a regular aluminum housing the lens is rotated from where it should be by 30 degrees.

:xEDIT: I just discovered my batch of red lenses were manufactured wrong. If you find correct ones they will fit the regular housing just fine...

I run these on my MVs as I have been pulled over more than once by the CHP with the little glass oval ones.

Interestingly, I have now discovered a similar lens to convert the front assemblies to big and bright. There is a full clear lens that looks just like the nato red one. Its used as back up lights on some modern MVs. The cool part is they fit regular housing without the 30 degree rotation. Amber bulbs inside is what I did and they are great, people see you when you are signaling.

IMAG0390.jpg

This is a set I just finished restoring for my M37 project.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks