• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood Winch question

hydrograss

Hi , This maybe a dumb question but... I got a garwood 20000 llb winch it has a capstan on one end and a longshaft out the otherside as well as the regular drum the question is do they have reverse or just the freewheel position? I have read the other threads and looked at the manuals but the winch is different from the pics on one side of the drum looks like it should have a band brake? am I missing something for reverse? any help would be great

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
that is a pto or hyd driven, all actions F/R come from the drive except free wheel, there should be a slide jaw clutch for that. yes there should be a band brake
a lot of times air cylinders are used to work the brake and free wheel

this sounds like a old line truck winch, if so, the long empty shaft out to the side was used to spool up pull cable on a spool when pulling a new power cable

the free wheel clutch may also be used to free the drum from the drive with the brake set for capstan use

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that is sure interesting news to me! Would you happen to have photos of said air shifting and any chance the 10,000 Garwood could receive air shift?

Thanks,

rick

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dont have pics, the brake is set up with a pressure regulator so you can go from full on to full off and everywhere in between, this way you can slip the brake to control free wheel, the other air cylinder is just on or off for the free wheel, some are set as pull both ways, others are set to one way against a spring

these winchs used to use a brake pedel or hand control lever and the free wheel clutch was controled by a hand control lever

dont think the #10000 garwood (deuce style) would be able to be set up this way, different style of winch

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible thread Hi-jack alert......

this sounds like a old line truck winch, if so, the long empty shaft out to the side was used to spool up pull cable on a spool when pulling a new power cable

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the 20,000 # air operated winch may be pretty close to a one person (driver) operation.

One last question about the 20,000 winch with pneumatic shifting and brake:

Where were these air shifted units used, front and rear mount or just the rear?

Rick

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
behind the cab mostly

I have some line trucks set up with hyd drive and hyd brake and free wheel controls, some on the front bumper, others at the rear of the line truck

Last edited:

hydrograss

Hi, Thanks for the info.I wondered about the long shaft. I plan to use it for a log skidder setup for my tractor PTO powered(one way) guess I'll have to put a transmission ahead of it for rev. thanks again

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
that winch would go nice on a tractor, run off a t/c pto, nice and high to clear the goose neck, a lot better use then a skidder, my opinon anyway

I used air cylinders to operate shifting the winch on my m52a2 from the cab the small valve on the side is used to slow the air down so the cylinder is not slamming it in or out .the cylinder is not used to hold it in or out just to shift it .

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, very nice, where did you find the air cylinder

Last edited:

air cylinders from E bay . The rear winch uses a cylinder to shift the transfer case pto in and out of gear .the control is mounted behind the passengers seat

jesusgatos

I used air cylinders to operate shifting the winch on my m52a2 from the cab the small valve on the side is used to slow the air down so the cylinder is not slamming it in or out .the cylinder is not used to hold it in or out just to shift it .
Thanks for posting topo. Was just doing some research on this topic and dug this old thread.