• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gathering opinions.....

chuck500cc

M35A2?

1. Coupe or hardtop?
2. Better locations to buy from, Camp Lajune, ect. ect...
3. With or without winch
4. Some locations list "will not start , running condition unknown, driven into yard".
5. Heater or no....I live in DFW area.

Running condition is relative to what they location wants to tell you. Is it that the trucks sit so long that the batteries are toast? It seem the NC depots take the time to have the trucks running but I will have to bid sight unseen. :shock: I have heard rumors that there are some M35A2's that came from LA. flood areas. But we all know what rumors are like. I will be using it to drive on DFW area highways on paydays and Fridays. It seems that people are more likely to try to run you off the roads. I want to give them a second thoughts. LOL! :wink: I will also on occasion take it to deer lease and the like.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Personal preference, hardtop might add a little to the purchase price/resale price
2. Whoever has the truck you want within a reasonable distance (shipping isn't cheap these days). No location has better trucks than another
3. With winch....... You wanna' pay somebody to winch something this big out of the mud? Plus, it's helpful for pulling stumps out on your property.
4. Ignore the descriptions-only way to know what you are bidding on is to preview it. Bid accordingly.
5. With no heater comes no defroster...........when it rains, I suspect windshields still fog up, even in the desert of Tx.

re: sit so long, batteries die--- For the most part.
re: NC-probably just that the GL guys at certain places take an extra 5 minutes to try and get more money for their stuff
re: Flood trucks--- they are out there. I have seen a few GL listings that actually say "truck was used in floor, etc". There are some tell tale signs, but again, you have to preview them unless you throw such a low bid that you can accept winning what amounts to a parts truck.

For first time users, many of us recommend purchasing from a private party. I did and am very happy. The price is a bit more....but I think it's worth it.

poppop

I just picked up a duece at Fort Jackson SC. It was listed as will not start. I put in new batterys and gallons of diesel and it started after a little spinning. The GL guy on site told me if he gets in and pushs the button and it won't start thats how he lists it. He makes no attempt to get them running.

jwaller

Re: RE: Gathering opinions.....

poppop said:
I just picked up a duece at Fort Jackson SC. It was listed as will not start. I put in new batterys and gallons of diesel and it started after a little spinning. The GL guy on site told me if he gets in and pushs the button and it won't start thats how he lists it. He makes no attempt to get them running.
yup. and does this bc he doesnt get paid to do anything different. and nobody at GL does no matter what site it is. so when it says not running you never know. some batteries and fuel might fix it or it might be missing a piston. you have to take the time to go and look at it or have somebody do it for you.

when GL doesn't show something in a pic there is a reason for it. when you see eng pics and they only show the rear of the eng. thats bc the front half with all the accessories are missing. look carefully.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The directive we were given was if the vehicle cannot move under it's own power, all fluids and the batteries must be removed. All fluids is suppose to include final drives, transmission, engine oil,... everything. So it's never a sure thing but if it has fluids, it may just need a jump.

My last duty at my last assignment was to turn in all M35A2/3's, 800 series, and any 900 series trucks that were not A2's after we got issued our LMTV's and MTV's. Most of these vehicles were driven to various DRMO's in the northeast and there were still a dozen or so awaiting movement when I left.

I got a 1009 last Feb and it started first try with a jump.

emr

He didn't lie , he got in and it didn't start, they are not mechanics, and nobodys going to pay for one to check out a vehicle going up for auction, I have a big "bad fuel"No start" painted on my 813 , got her home had a couple of air leaks in some fuel lines and has been running like a champ ever since. Randy

poppop

To add to jwaller's post, thats why I bid on the low doller truck. I could part it out for more than I paid. I got lucky and got a good truck for a cheap price. So far I have not been burned on a purchase buts thats just luck. My time is coming and i know it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find a truck with the "options" (winch, hard top, and heater) already in it, thats easier that trying to add them later.

I think the best advice anyone here can give you is GO PERSONALLY INSPECT THE TRUCK AT GL and make your own opinions on the truck... Dont rely on the few pictures and discription GL gives.. Inspect, take pics, and ask questions about your new possible purchase..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..and if you have a defroster, the cab will get to 150 degrees. Like Clinto says, hardtops are a matter of preference. I wouldn't own one here in S Fla, just too darned hot. I'm a die hard canvas freak but the vinyl tops are superior in comfort. Everything here must have a winch. If it doesn't, it soon will!

sermis

Add a little lipstick and most anything will look better in the right light.
I got my truck from a guy about 20 miles away. It had been sitting for years in a cedar tree thicket Tires sunk into the ground to the rims, dead batteries. Hooked it to a M151 and let it sit for 10 minutes and hit the starter button. Three turns and it started. 2 gallons of suit and water from the stack. Added air assist, front locker, troop seats, 395’s, drop side, blasted and painted. Looks good and a blast to drive.
I got a parts truck from a fire department. Missing alt, and fuel return lines along with most wiring. Jumped it and started right up. Knock from motor but will still move under it’s own power. These are tough trucks. Going price for average trucks from GL seems to be around $1,200- $2,000.

Attachments

derby

Sermis the truck looks great! I like the C-turbo sound myself.if I am going on a long trip I wear hearing protection anyway.Heater is nice even if you don't use it ,it will increase resale,as will a winch and hard top, air shift is a good option.In my opinion a solid mechanical condition truck is better than a pretty one.paint hides alot!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks