• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge Wire Post Difference

Barrman

I am to the point of putting my gauges on the truck and wiring them up. But, I can't find a consistant listing in the manuals about which wire goes where on the gauges. The M35 manuals show the power wire #27 going to the outside post on the gauges as they are aligned in the panel. Yet, the same gauges are used in M715's. Those manuals have all the power leads going to the post on the drivers side of the panel. Same 4 gauges with two different ways of hooking them up.

The volt meter is easy since you only have 1 wire. So is the mechanical air gauge.

Since the "senders" for the fuel, oil and temp gauges are actually just resistors. All the gauges really do is act as Ohm meters over a specific range. Does it even matter which wire is hooked to which post since the voltage is just passing through on the path to ground?

Thanks.

nattieleather

Tim, Its been a while since I played with gauges, but isn't one of the connectors ribbed and one isn't so that PVT snuffy doesn't goof them up when installing them?

If not then it may not make a difference which way they install.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The answer to your question varies depending upon the age of your truck - though in general all are the same.

How many circuit breakers does your truck have? Are any of them mounted on the back of the instrument panel. Are the gauges 24 volt, or 6 volt (I am not making that up)?

Regards,
David

Barrman

The gauges I am installing are all newer 24 volt ones with Packard fittings. I have a set of the AC Douglas fitting ones but since I am making the entire truck non cloth insulated wire Packard fitting, I am switching the gauges over too.

Oh, by newer I mean late '60's M715 take offs. I like steel and glass in my gauges so the new plastic and plastic ones just aren't going to work even though I have a set.

I also have swapped out the senders to match the gauges I am installing. I still have the stock senders for the 1952 era gauges and figure they might come in handy for another project some day.

Barrman

Bjorn, Thanks that gives us two trucks with manuals showing pictures of the #27 wire going to the drivers side of the gauges. The old M35 manuals are the ones that got me wondering since they have the #27 wire on the outside. I have about 4 spare plastic oil or temp gauges. I feel like just hooking one up, see what it says and then reverse the wires to see what effect it has.

I think I will wait for more input here first though.

Barrman

Drivers side is the post that #27 goes to. At least on all of my gauges that needed power and a sender.

Thought I would finish this thread out incase somebody goes looking for this info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks