• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Oil availability Washington State GL-1??

wsucougarx

From reading the forums it appears that the GEAR OIL to put in our deuces is GL-1. Please correct if I am wrong. I checked with every auto parts/supply store from Grays Harbor on up to Lacey looking for GL-1. The only gear oil on the shelf was GL-3 to GL-5. I asked several places about GL-1 and they just looked at me with a blank stares from NAPA and a tractor shop in Olympia. The guy behind the counter at Cut Rate Auto Parts said that GL-5 will be ok in the deuces but from what I have heard and read the additives in the GL5 are harmfull on the tranny and transfer case. Does anyone know where I can get GL-1 or can I use the gear oils. If it matters the truck I'm in the processing of getting was overhauled in 9/91.

I did contact Petit oil and they said they can special order GL-1 for about $100/5 gallons. Is this a bit much? I did check Home Depot and nothing
Please advise

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA part # 65-205 for a 5 gal bucket of GL-1 oil. Use the search function and you will find many posts on GL-1 oil and where to buy it.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse again, buy deuce, then oil. :lol:

wsucougarx

I went to napaonline and found it. Called NAPA here in town and for some reason they cannot look up that part number. I told them the part number is on NAPA's site. Do you know anything about GL-5 MT-1 being good to go?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the GL# it's the sulfur-phosphorus that is not good in trans. I use Chevron Delo ESI GL-4 GL-5 MT-1 Mil-prf 2105E. Does not contain sulfur.This stuff performs like synthetic. You can call any manufacture tec line and ask if it has sulfur. Transmission W/pto 10 1/2 pt. WO/pto 8 1/2 pt. Transfer case 7 Qt.
Mobil 1 LS 75w90 has sulfur.That's is the only one I Googled but most have the additives listed on there web sights.

OD_Coyote

I use the NAPA GL-5 MT1 in my truck and so far, no issues.
You can get still the the GL1 from NAPA in the 5 gallion pail if you order it using the P/N doghead listed. I used to keep both around, but decided to go with the GL-5 MT1 for simplicity.

ida34

MT1 is the thing you need to look for. GL-1 is straight 90 weight and I think GL-5 is 80W90. It may be 80w140 but I think 80w90 is the correct viscosity. The MT-1 rating is the thing that makes it safe for the soft or yellow metals in the transmission.

renovate7

From what I have read/researched/deduced when GL5 first came out it had additives that were harmful to brass and bronze. The manufacturers picked up on this and changed the formula for the GL5 so this wasn't a problem. I talked to a manufacturer, Coastal, that supplies product to the regional auto parts chains and they said their GL5 was OK. Walmarts gear oils say safe for bronze and brass on the label.

wsucougarx

Many thanks gentlemen from a total Newbie but I'm getting there. The way I have been studying this stuff you'd think I was doing my doctoral thesis on "THE DEUCE". God bless you all and thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks