• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gear oil

blasini

well i am sure this has been posted many times before but here goes. i found some gl1 gear oil at a tractor supply place. this stuff is so thin no wonder they quit making it. has anyone used regular gear oil in tranny. it seems to work fine in old british bikes and i can see no reason why it would not work fine in this transmission too

cten

If you check some prior post and do a search on Gear Lube or GL1 etc... something will come up as I have had this question myself in past.

Again, I know some people have issues with Walmark, but they do carry GL1 gear lube.

Good Luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL-1 worked for a lot of years in the old trucks. For that reason alone I'll keep using it. I pulled a PTO off of a 1953 Stude M35. The GO looked like tar but once the it was cleaned out of the PTO, I looked pretty good inside. The PTO has been on one of my M35A2s and is currently in my M275A2.

MVtrucker

>no wonder they quit making it.
It's still being made, I buy Shell GL1. Thin? It's 80W-90, thin compared to some lubes, I guess. You don't want thick goo in your gear bxes.

SixBuy

Kenny,
You said you pulled a PTO off that was gooed up w/ GL1 - got me thinking... My PTO is almost impossible to shift. After lots of cussin' I was able to get into Rev. but not either of the FWD positions. Could that be dried lube? The truck went thru Tooele in 8/90 and has only had 4800 miles since. Looks to be original lube everywhere... Hmmm. If the PTO dried out can the Tranny be far behind? Any thoughts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt that its lube related. The lube in mine was black as tar but still had lube qualities. It wasn't caked up at all. Sounds like something else going on in there. Maybe a linkage problem or funk and rust growing on the shift rails. Be worth taking off anf having a looksee.

SixBuy

Still on the GL-1 topic! A fellow who has a bunch of Deuces and an oil co. tells me that GL-5 works just fine and is an improvement over the way things were done 30 some odd years ago. Kinda makes sense since the Mil-2105 has progressed through /A, /B,/C, /D, and now /E revisions with the newer lubricants. BUT - Before I go replacing the old GL-1 with GL-5 I thought I had better check for 'The Law of Unintended Consequences'. Has anybody had any experience Pro/Con on this?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said good or bad right. I've used GL-1 exclusively in my deuces and never had a problem attributed to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks