• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gear ratio questions

sktww

i found an add for defferential repair kits that included 489 gears to replace 583 gears. what are the pro and cons? i have a transmition guy that i'm about to turn lose on my '53 and am reserching all parts avalability. there isn't anything realy wrong, i just want all berings, seals and gaskets inspected and or relaced if needed.

nattieleather

Advantage with the lower gear ratio is a little higher road speed. A solid 50 mph or so with the stock motor and trans as appose to 45 mph with the lower gears. The con is not as much umph off road. The other con is cost.

The pros to keeping it stock is money in the wallet and more grunt off road also to a purist it will get a better resale value. The cons is that you have a slower highway speed.

The above are my oppinion and in no way reflect the views of Steel Soldiers or its membership. Results vary do not try this at home!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks