• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear sticking?

pwrwagonfire

I have the transfer case in low range to pull out of the garage. Slip it into first, and attempt to drive. To my surprise, the truck dosent move. So I keep giving it more gas untill all at once it lurches foward, now operating properly.

I noticed it only does this (and pretty frequently) in 1-low. Is it possible that the gears are just getting stuck or jammed in some way? What is a good way to fix this?

The truck in question is a 1975 AM General Deuce.

Thanks in advance!

Barrman

I would suggest you check the linkage to the transfer case from the shifter. Just crawl under the cab and look up. The ends have probably worn enough to cause slop and need to be adjusted. Since the cab floor stops you from pushing the handle any further, it is only evident in Low. Does the shifter handle bounce around and rattle like crazy going down the road in Hi? Most of the ones I have come across that need adjusting do, is why I ask.