• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared hub input seals - what direction?

15W40

I’ve been resealing my geared hubs and the wording in the TM has me scratching my head. For the input seals it says:

1. Using driver handle and input seal installer, install input seal (7) in drive gear retainer (4).
Ensure radius on outer diameter of input seal (7) faces toward inside of geared hub (6).

When I disassembled, two of my hubs had input seals where the rounded (radius?) side of the seal was facing into the hub and the spring side was facing out. Two were the other direction.

Any other oil seal, you’d put with the spring side of the seal on the inside with the oil. But, if the manual goes out of its way to say radius in, that must mean it’s an unusual case. It does not specify this for the output seal and all of those came out the normal direction. Can anybody confirm or better explain these instructions before I potentially have four backwards seals?

IMG_5723.jpeg