• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen set guru question

bchauvette

Gen Set Question?

Is the mass of the stator calculated in the fly wheel weight? In other words if if the stator was replaced with a shaft and pulleys would it still run and function?

dangier

I'm guessing here, but the stator is the load on the engine. The engine has to contain all of the balance requirements internally to run (with external flywheel attached of course). Don't have an opinion of the side loading (if any in your design). Someone else better equipped will chime in. Have heard of someone using the 002 engine on a wood splitter and ran ok. Just my 1.5 cents..
David

Keith_J

The stator does not turn, it is the rotor. Load on the generator is from back electromotive force, when the breakers are open, there is no back EMF load on the rotor.

The engines can usually run just fine alone, the MEP 002 and 003 engines have a massive flywheel on the front (blower) end, the output end of the engine only has a thin flexplate since there is no bearing on the drive end, that utilizes the engine main bearing.

Ray70

The motor itself will run just fine, the problem will be with the side load on the crank bearings. The bearings aren't really designed for much of a side load, so excessive pressure on the crank will probably lead to premature failure of the main bearings.
You might be better off with a setup that doesn't side load the crank too much. Maybe a gear drive setup, jackshaft or chain/tooth belt drive?? Something other than a V-belt directly off the crank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks