• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEN1dim light w/heater on fix and other things

sierrajcharlie

I had GEN1 being dimly lit when I ran the heater. I tightened up the belt and still had the same issue, must be the batteries. It seemed to be charging just fine so I had 2 batteries here with threaded top posts. I bought 4 top post adapters and put them in but still had the same issue. So, I pulled the fuse with a pliers and it was a little corroded. As I’m scrapping the corrosion off the fuse falls apart in my hand. It didn’t look that bad! Replaced the fuse and the issue went away. I figured I’d swap batteries back when I had time. A couple of weeks later it wouldn’t start. I could hear the starter solenoid engaging but no motor spin. I figured the starter must have a bad spot in it, so I crawled underneath and tapped on it. Tried several times and still just clicking. I crawled out and slammed the hood down, hit the key and she started spinning. [thumbzup] So, I parked it for the week and tore it out and took it to the local shop. He looked at it and asked why don’t you just convert the Blazer to 12 volt? I started to get nervous. He wasn’t sure he could fix it because it was 24 volt but he’d look at it. In the meantime I called a buddy who fixed the things for 50 years. I asked if he thought he could fix it? He was insulted, “I’ve only fixed oh say about 3…..thousand of them from 1930’s thru the 80’s.” He told me he could fix anything for certain people. Luckily, I’m one of them. The next day I called the shop to get the starter back and he said the starter was fine, looked brand new, so he replaced the solenoid. I thought but I had heard the solenoid engaging but I’m not the expert. Went down to get it, now I’m $100 lighter in the wallet, put it in, and she spun right over. Took her to town to fill up and let it run. Got home, shut it off outside and cleaned up the garage to get it inside. Went outside, turned the key…………. click. :evil: Tried several times with the same results. I thought of something when I hooked up the battery cables, so I tapped each post with my fist and then hit the key. She spun right over. aua I changed the batteries back and the problem went away. We looked at the post adapters closer and found the threads weren’t as long as the posts so they never bottomed out and fit snug. aua I’m thinking about getting a “bad” starter and letting my buddy rebuild it so I have a spare. I won’t be going back to the local shop any time soon.
That’s a month ago, since then I’ve replaced the glow plugs, adjusted the vacuum (now it shifts!!!), and did the doghead relay. It’s starting so much better and the mileage is coming up. :) Just thought I’d share about the fool and his money. :oops: Maybe it’ll help someone out there with their problems.

I've met a top post adapter I liked. I bought Hum-Vee battery clamps and used those on top post batteries. They are good to go. If you are going to keep using the top post adapters, maybe try some loc-tite on the tread portions.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job. :beer:

Loose or dirty electrical connection will get you everytime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks