• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Tire Temperature Question

dk8019

So my wife and I took the M109 on a tour of sorts of Indiana this weekend. We drove two lane roads primarily, US40 from Springfield to Richmond, then down from Richmond via 27, 101, 1 and 46 to Batesville, Indiana for a shoot. We then drove back from Batesville via I74 to Cinncy, then up 42 to Xenia and over to Jamestown for a church get together. A great weekend, forgot the camera, yada yada, but it was and awesome time in the Deuce, with the front windows propped out, and even with the heat it wasn't bad.

I was watching my tire temperatures and hub temperatures closely this trip. I bought the Deuce last fall, and nothing ever got warm on it during those trips. Engine temps stayed right at 180 and never moved even during some long climbs, but I noticed durings stops that the front tires were warm, I could touch them, but it was approaching the ow! that's hot stage. Same goes for the rear hubs.

I've heard that NDTs don't shed heat well. I was running the fronts and rears at 50 PSI all round.

First, should the tires get that warm when being driven on somewhat hot asphalt? It was high 80s, to low 90s during the trip.

Second, how hot should the hubs get on the wheels. This was never after a long braking segment, just after pulling into a parking lot etc.

I've read through the -10 and -20s, including the driving inspection part, and it refers to checking the hub temperature to see if they are hot, but it gives no reference to what hot is? Is that 120F, 180F, 200F?

I'm planning to repack all my bearings Monday after next on a day off, parts are ordered etc, but I'm looking for some pointers on what is normal.

:-D

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I don't have a good answer for what "too hot" is , but my tires get hotter than my hubs. As long as the tires are in good shape (not age checked) and are properly inflated. I wouldn't worry too much about them until they start changing colors or developing bulges. If either one of those happens I would let the tire in question cool, pull the valve core and then change the tire.

Last edited:

dk8019

I should have gimpyrobb, I'll make a point of it next time, we were in a hurry for our social event.

The hubs weren't as hot as the front tires, the front hubs were nice and cool, just the rear ones were a bit warm. I think I'll just change all the rear diff lubes, repack the bearings and then see how it feels next trip. Sounds like a good way to spend the day doesn't it? :razz:

Gastrap

My front tires get hot, rears stay cool all at 50psi. Hubs are the reverse, fronts cool & rears warm. None of my brake drums are ever hot running the flat ground around Iowa.

Rule of thumb for bearings is max of 50 degrees above ambient temp is acceptable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks