• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator 1 Light

cjkeeliii

About two weeks ago I installed new glow plugs in my 1985 m1008 because the truck didn't start as quickly as when I bought it. After the new plugs from Indusa, the front battery went down--I could not crank the truck. The next day I bought two new batteries and the truck cranked like nobody's business. About four days ago the GEN 1 light came on faintly while driving during daylight hours. By the time I got home that night, the light was shinning brightly whenever the truck was put under an electrical load such as lights, heater, brake pedal. I had the alternator rebuilt and the light still shines except now it pulses with the turning of the alternator pulley--it appeared to be blinking on the way home tonight. Both alternators are putting out 14 volts; both batteries are showing around 13 volts; I think the volmeter reads in the same place, (green), but I never paid it detailed attention; all fuses are good; I swithched GEN 1 and GEN 2 lights. The GEN 1 light's intensity increases with RPM or electrical load. This truck is my daily driver, will it damage anything to drive it until I can solve the problem? Is there a solenoid or switch stuck causing the light to remain lit. Thanks for the help y'all are great.

Sorry for the redundancy, guys. I didn't see that there's another member posting with almost the same problem as mine.

cjkeeliii

After checking everything on the truck, I called the guy who rebuilt my alternator and he told me to bring it back to him. He had it fixed the next day and said something about the three ground wires coming off of the stator had been bent when he reassembled the alternator and they were grounding out against the rectifier--or something to that effect. Anyhow, the problem is basically fixed: the GEN 1 light still shines very faintly when I turn the heater on "Medium" and "High". I really have to plug this guy because he was polite, cheap and stood by his work. He's been in business for over thirty years and knows his stuff.

Carroll Hill Auto Electric
115 Old Albany Road
Thomasville, GA 31792
229-226-0717