• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator compartment where pioneer tool rack is?

LanceRobson

I'm thinking of fabbing up a generator compartment, under my M35A2C, where the spare and pioneer tool rack are.

I've searched for threads using "generator" with "compartment" and "box" and seem to have come up dry.

I've seen Jtonka's M109 and another M109 with the boxes. Also, there was a truck on GL with what looked like a generator box and it had it's spare (a super single) hanging at an angle under the rear of the truck. The pictures were pretty poor so seeing any detail was impossible.

Has anyone got any ideas, pics or experience with either of these mods? Links to existing threads would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if there is room for a spare, in the rear, without sacrificing the use of the pintle and having approach angle issues. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

Lance

LanceRobson

There is some good food for thought there, and on the threads linked to it.

I spend most of my time trimming out houses and managing construction projects but used to build a lot of custom cabinets.

One of my suppliers has K & V full-extension, 500 pound capacity drawer slides. 20 or 22 inch slides are about $135 retail, $97 cost. I think a pair of them will be the starting point for box layout.

The slides are available in 200 pound capacity (cost $31), but as the generator weighs 160 pounds I don't think there's enough reserve for shock, vibration and running when not level. I'm only wanting to do this once (OK, maybe twice) so I don't want to risk problems by going cheap.

I think I'll figure out how much space my 3.6 kW Makita generator needs and see how that compares with some of my extra MAC center sections and top boxes. If the generator isn't needed for a trip, I hope to load in a toolbox.

I may pop the bed off and pull the air tanks to do this. I have a good stainless pressure tank that should fit and the extra air capacity won't hurt. The stainless tank would have shown under the frame without the generator/tool compartment but should not be objectionable with the box. Work would go a lot easier with the bed and tanks out of the way.

When the building season slows down (if it slows down) I'll get started and keep a photo log. I've got a winch swap and hub flip to do first.

Lance

reitenger

You could double stack a set of slides, or might consider getting hold of a tool dealer like snap on and getting a set of drawer slides for a toolbox. A lot of these are rated at 300lbs.
You might consider putting a lip in the back of the drawer for the gen drawer to rest on when it is in the closed position. When I used to install gens in motorhomes we had slides that were made for gen installs. You might consider contacting a dealer and asking about those. We used them on gens weighing way more than 160lbs

saddamsnightmare

August 30th, 2008.

OR you might get a set of trolley hangers like they use in auto shops on light I beams and hang your box offa them.... I did a 1750 LB generator set under a railroad passenger car with the "C" channels trapping the hanger wheels between them (one C channel each end facing inward) with the generator frame carrying the wheels from graingers and vibration insulators between the C channel and car frame. Bolts were used to lock the generator down to keep it from moving when I didn't want it to... and the C channels had boltable extnsions to permit me to bring the generator set out from under the car to work on it (Long cables hooking it up to the car's electrical system). Might make your day go easier??? Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan :beer:

NB: GO WAY OVERSIZE ON ANY HANGERS AND SLIDES.....When your deuce bounces you would be amazed how much dynamic force may be bearing on the generator's hangers..... Don't want to loose your investment overboard!!! :popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks