• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator connection choices

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
803, I'll use the 70 to house interconnect! 30 is for other hook ups if needed!
That would require 6-4 type-w soow cord rated at 87 amps not 55 amps like regular 6-4 soow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Bluejoe

Howdy,
Generator connection choices.
For safety of yourself, family, equipment and utility workers, properly connect generators.
Some methods can be do it yourself to a certain point. Electricians and your Utility will be involved as well.

Laws vary from state to state, and from country to country. You obviously need to do your homework with what is required for where you live.

Maybe one of the easiest methods would be a interlock kit. There are many manufacturers out there. Some times its even easier to build it in from the start. Existing work- you can see if your current electrical panel has a interlock kit available. The interlock plate slides into position to let your dual pole generator feed power the panel instead of the main service breaker. The interlock makes sure only one of them can be ON.

There are lots of ways to connect a generator. You want to do it correctly and safely.

Power panel interlock =
If you have a mainstream panel (GE, Square D, Siemens, etc) there probably is a interlock kit available. It makes it so the main circuit breaker has to be off for the generator breaker is on. The only limit would be the size of dual pole breaker which fits in your panel.
View attachment 662870

Break out generator panel =
Other methods are through a generator transfer panel.
They are sold by different manufacturers and come in many sizes. To me, they are limiting by the number of spaces of what you could connect.
View attachment 662871

Other methods are through a behind the meter device.
This works well for existing service. A special collar is placed behind your utility meter. Most times this can be installed in about 5 minutes. They are in a 30amp and a 50amp connection size. Generlink is usually sourced through your utility. You simply use your electrical panel circuit breakers for what you want running. (NOTE; to the size of your generator )You use a special cord connection at the bottom of the collar.
(Through my local utility)
View attachment 662872View attachment 662873

For larger connection and for larger amperage service
PSP Products pdf brochure, electromn info pdf is a product which is similar to the Generlink product. A special collar is mounted behind the meter.
Below is my central farm distribution with a TC-200M26W shows a continuous generator rating of 40KW and a peak of 48KW
(Through my local utility)
View attachment 662874View attachment 662875View attachment 662876View attachment 662877

Other methods are through a DPDT switch. (double pole double throw) manual type switch. They too range in manufacturers and amperage. They also come in a full automatic type transfer switch.
There are of course many other ways to make a connection. Just do it correctly. Keep the linemen alive! [thumbzup]
I like the transfer panel.

Bluejoe

I am looking at getting one of these manual transfer switches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHTWRDM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_42?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER along with these Hubbel Twist Lock male/female sets (Steel Soldiers Member Zed254 introduced me to those Hubbel's) and some soow 6/4 cord. I will either have a box to plug the hubbel directly in or I will have a male pigtail in a box connected to one side of the manual transfer switch. The 6/4 cord will be a proper cord with male on one enad and female on the other. The male end will plug into another hubbel at the generator and the female end to the outlet or pigtail at the transfer switch. The manual switch and connection point will be right next to the meter which is under cover and out of the elements.
Hello Do you have picture of setup. Looking to do same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks